Keefe's Birthday

*Hey, sorry!!!! I know I haven't posted in a while :( But here it is! Another chapter!!*

Keefe sat on his bed. His room was in complete disarray with the exception of Sophie's gift. He smiled as he looked at it. 

*Also, I have no clue how old I originally said Keefe was but in this chapter, he's turning fifteen. Technically, I'm pretty sure he's already fifteen so this is a flashback??? I dunno. Enjoy!*

He had gone to Foxfire as per usual that day, carefully avoiding his father. The day started out pretty well. However, by the time he was at Foxfire, Keefe noticed something strange. Ro had this strange smirk on her face and when asked why, she refused to speak. Keefe became wary. 

*Hahaha, I just realized the unintentional pun I made. Okay, enough notes, I'll write*

Keefe survived long enough to lunch. Strangely enough, it was relatively quiet. He grabbed something to eat. Wanting to be alone, he faked going to the bathroom. Ro, persistent on staying by him, stood outside. 

Keefe grinned as he opened a vent. He grabbed the edge and managed to pull himself up while silently cursing his barely sufficient amount of arm strength. Keefe crawled through the vent for a while. He punched the vent below him as hard as he could. 

Not a good idea. The vent opened but his knuckles got scratched. It didn't matter. He slowly lowered himself onto the floor of the deserted classroom. 

He sat down, head against the wall, and covered his face. 

*SOPHIE'S POV*

Sophie woke up that morning, eager for school, surprisingly enough. She grabbed her package for Keefe and went to Foxfire. She hid it in her locker which was safe because Keefe's was in another hallway since he was a grade above her. 

She barely got through the day, excited for lunch. Tiergan had smiled during Telepathy after she had successfully kept the reason why a secret during their exercises. He tried every possible method to find out why and Sophie successfully blocked him each time. And she was going easy on him. 

He laughed when she told him that and deemed her work perfect. Sophie beamed as he let her go ten minutes early. 

She rushed to the lunch tables and met up with the rest of their friends to prepare. It didn't go very far because none of them were really sure what to do. Sophie tried to organize them but that didn't work either. 

Sophie ducked behind a table with everyone else as Keefe quickly walked in and grabbed food. However, he turned and walked out with Ro, saying something. 

She stood and her face fell. Her friends assured her that it would be okay. 

Fitz told her, "I don't think Keefe has ever actually been here on this day. I might be wrong because of how many detentions he's gotten."

"Thanks Fitz," she gave him a weary smile. His face lit up and she sighed mentally. Seriously, when was he going to get over the fact that she didn't like him? 

Biana tugged the ends of her hair. "I think he might be in . . . the room," she whispered. 

Sophie understood immediately what she was talking about. Hastily thanking Biana, she ran out and searched for Ro. She spotted her outside the nearest boys' bathroom. 

"Ro, is Keefe in there?" she asked. 

Ro shrugged. "Probably not."

In response to Sophie's glare, she added, "You know no one can control that kid. I'll check inside."

Before Sophie could object, Ro yelled, "Yo, Hunkyhair? You in there?"

Silence. 

Ro looked at her. "I don't think he's in there."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious," Sophie replied sarcastically. She frowned as she tried to think of how to find Keefe. 

Of course. Telepathy. She reached out for Keefe's thoughts which were easy to find. Envisioning the room, she levitated, grateful for the incredibly high ceiling, and fell, teleporting at the last second. 

Sophie accidentally landed on top of Keefe. He brushed hair out of his eyes and gave a forced lopsided grin. 

"Still bad at your landings," he teased, trying to break the ice. 

She gave him a look. "Keefe, why are you alone?"

He whistled. "Getting better are this aren't you?"

Sophie kept glaring. 

"Fine. Maybe it's because I . . . don't like today?" He looked away and Sophie knew Keefe wasn't lying. 

Sophie followed his eyes to a small note pinned onto the wall. A detention slip. In Keefe's handwriting it read:

The Great Gulon Incident

She intertwined her fingers with his and watched a series of flashbacks. His finals. His father yelling at him. Keefe, scared. Keefe sneaking out late at night with a squirming gulon. His father yelling again. Keefe's arms and face covered with scratches. 

Silence. Sophie looked up at him. Keefe's eyes were wet. He closed them tightly and salt water trickled down. She hugged him. They fell into a kiss.

Sophie whispered, "I'm sorry."

For once, Keefe looked too tired to deny anything. Sophie handed him a small package covered with green and white gulons. He offered her a genuine smile.

She stood up and walked over to the door. Sophie hesitated and looked back at Keefe. 

"Keefe?"

He looked up.

"Happy birthday. And . . . I care about you." Sophie walked out. 

Keefe smiled. He said to the empty room, "Thanks Sophie."

*Yep, no real theory for the Great Gulon Incident posted yet :) sorry guys*

Keefe glanced at Sophie gift, sitting on his table. Memories of them that Sophie had projected onto a poster board with all the strange and good things they had ever said to each other. In the center was a photo of a smirking blond boy, a mysterious girl with a red hand and brown eyes, and a familiar spot in a hallway of Foxfire that one might enjoy ditching in with the caption:

You must be lost

Keefe looked down at his wrist. On it was a cloth ice blue bracelet. He fingered the two sets of intials stitched onto it.

He wasn't lost. Not anymore.