Phase 3 Pt 2

*The difference in the text is supposed represent different scenes happening at the same time. Enjoy!*

There was a low growling noise from behind them. 

In a dark room, Evelyn crossed one leg over the other and leaned back in her chair as she watched Keefe and Sophie on a screen.

She smiled, darkly, "Fools. You should've ran while you had the chance."

Keefe swallowed. "Please tell me that's not what I think it is," he whispered hoarsely.

Sophie whispered back, "Knowing our luck, it probably is."

They both slowly turned around to face the gorgodon standing behind them. It growled at them but didn't attack, instead pacing back and forth. 

It looked weary but she didn't see any visible wounds. They would need a Pyrokinetic if they wanted to escape.

Evelyn watched the screen with evident interest. Of course, this was all part of Phase 3. She just had to be patient. However, watching the gorgodon pace back and forth, growling while the two elves did nothing was irksome. She had to stage an accident to make it believable that the base had been abandoned but she would have much rather preferred to knock them unconscious and leave them on the Black Swan's front door, a detail Evelyn now knew thanks to Sophie's memories. 

The gorgodon started inching closer and they slowly backed away. Keefe tried to talk to it in a low voice. 

"Hey there, buddy. Easy. We don't want to hurt you," he said calmly.

Sophie wanted to tell him 'speak for yourself' but she didn't want the gorgodon to attack them. 

The gorgodon bared its teeth at Keefe and growled louder. 

"So that didn't work. Foster, got any brilliant ideas before we get turned into gorgodon kibble?"

"Not really," Sophie whispered back.

Keefe sighed. "I feel like we're totally going to Foster it."

They tried to keep backing away but they ended up pinned against a wall. The gorgodon was only mere feet away. 

Evelyn leaned a little closer to the screen, interested in what was about to play out. She knew they couldn't fight back too well, they didn't have weapons. As for abilities, it depended on how they used them.

The gorgodon was getting too close. Keefe concentrated and made the gorgodon freeze.

"Sophie . . . go," he managed to get out. She could tell that Mesmerizing the gorgodon was difficult for him because not only was he a relatively new Mesmer but animal minds were much different from elf minds. 

Sophie heard the desperation in his voice. She knew how badly he wanted her to turn her back on him and run. But she was tired of running.

Sophie closed her eyes and felt her anger and frustration collect. She focused on letting it all out on the beast. 

A hand gripped hers tightly and sent calming blue breezes as she heard a small whimper.

Sophie opened her eyes to find the gorgodon much farther away. It looked angrier and weak but also more cautious. Keefe, on the other hand, looked very concerned. 

"Are you alright?" he asked immediately.

She opened her mouth and paused. "Actually . . . I feel lighter. I just released all of my anger onto the gorgodon."

Keefe frowned. "No wonder it looked so . . ." his voice trailed off. 

"So, what?" she prompted.

He shook his head. "It was kind of terrifying. I don't think you want to know."

His voice made Sophie shiver. "You're right. I don't want to know how much of a monster I was acting like. But imagining makes it worse."

She glanced at the gorgodon and around the room. "We need to focus on getting out of here. Can you transmit negative emotions or something? That'll put the gorgodon on edge and buy us enough time to get out of here."

Keefe nodded. "On it."

Sophie grabbed his hand and slowly led him out of the hallway. Once the gorgodon was far enough away, they start sprinting for an exit. After several dead ends, they finally made their way out of the base.

The first lungful of fresh air felt glorious after being locked inside for a month. She felt giddy with joy to finally be free. 

Their surroundings weren't much to look at, just a dense forest. Sophie made a mental note of taking Mr. Forkle here as soon as possible. 

Holding Keefe's hand, she teleported them both back to Havenfield. 

Evelyn grinned to herself. Manipulating them was too easy. Phase 3 was a success.