Rankings

Alright, before you read this chapter, I realized that some of you were confused about Tris's mother being Florence's mother's sister. Let me make it super simple for you, Sofia and Natalie have been together through everything until it came to changing factions where Natalie chose Abnegation and Sofia chose Candor. I spent more than 40 minutes last week debating whether or not to put it in until I said ''Screw it!'' and put it in. 

And as I said in the first couple chapters from my story, I will be changing some stuff from the actual book, just like I did with this chapter. 

So now that I've explained myself, I hope you like this chapter!

-----------------------------------

I don’t really know what happened after that. I just kept walking, and walking, and walking, thoughts about Tris’s mother running in my head. At some point, I ended up on the roof where I met Peter last night and I sat on the ledge.

How did I not know my mother had a sister? I mean, sure I wasn’t at home very often, but surely I should have heard something about having an aunt. At least once…

I heard the front door open and close then footsteps making their way towards the kitchen. It was the middle of the night, who in my family could have been out so late?

As quietly as I could, I made my way out of my room and to the stairs. I knew that if I made my way downstairs, someone would hear me so I decided to stay upstairs. At least I could count on the shadows to hide me.

“Where were you?” I heard a man’s voice whisper and I immediately knew it was my dad.

“I was out,” Someone else replied; my mom to be exact.

“Out at three in the morning?” he hissed. “With who?”

“No one,” my mother answered a bit too fast, making it obvious she was lying.

“Bullshit,” My father was getting angrier and angrier with each word that came out of his mouth and it made me scared, even from all the way up the stairs. “Now, I’m going to ask you one last time, who were you with? And don’t you even dare lie to me. You’ve always been a pathetic liar, even when we were in-”

“Shut up, Sebastian, I don’t want the kids to hear in case someone could be awake.” Sofia said sharply, cutting off whatever Sebastian was going to say before.

For a moment, my heart stopped as the fear of my parents finding out I was eavesdropping trickled down my back. But I soon calmed down once my father spoke again.

“They’re not, I checked before. They’re both sound asleep,” he grumbled. “Now tell me where and with who you were.” I could tell from the pitch of his voice that he was trying very hard to stay calm and it took everything in him not to yell.

“Fine,” she finally gave in. “I was in Abnegation with Natalie.”

Natalie, who is that and why was she meeting her in Abnegation? Was my mother Abnegation before she was Candor? Is Natalie an old friend or something?

“Why were you with her?” he dark voice snapped me out of my thoughts. He sounded angrier than I would have thought. Though why would he be mad that she’s hanging out with her? What’s so wrong about it?

“Look, I know you told me not to after we left our previous faction, but I’m not like you,” she said. She almost sounded desperate. “I needed to see her. I needed to know if she was alright. We’ve been together through everything. It’s only normal that we check up on each other.”