Change Our Minds

I don't know how long I walked around the compound or where I was going before I finally made it back to the dormitory. I was hoping that my walk would calm me down and change my mind to happy thoughts; except everywhere I went, I kept checking behind me and every time I heard running or shouting, I found a place to hide. I was a coward, in other words. I was stupid and I should just suck it up but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to stop trembling or even go sixty feet from the Pit due to that stupid fear simulation.

Though when I finally made it back to the dormitory, I didn't expect Peter to be sitting on the ground beside the door with his head tipped back against the wall behind him. His eyes drifted to me as he heard my footsteps slowly approaching him. As soon as he realized it was me, he jumped onto his feet as fast as the blink of an eye and I was soon submerged into his strong and sturdy arms. I just stood there, motionless as I tried to register what was happening. Though I didn't waste another second before snaking my arms around his waist until they tangled into the fabric of his shirt on the back.

The simulation suddenly evaporated from my mind because I was here, alive, with Peter and I was safe. I suddenly felt foolish for not going to the dormitory straight away. But instead I decided to be stupid and let the events swim through my mind for hours, recalling Peter screaming for me, of the blood pooling around me and of the gun that shot the final blow.

"What happened?" Peter whispered as he moved his face from the crook of my neck so his forehead was pressed against mine.

My eyes were still closed when I answered him. "I died without knowing why,"

There was a moment of silence before Peter's trembling voice answered my unspoken question. "I had to kill you," His arms tightened around me subconsciously, like he was scared that I would suddenly disappear. "You were begging me not to but I had to, or they were going to torture the both of us until we both died. I didn't want you to suffer," Peter's voice cracked at the end and I wanted to pull away to see him properly but he just held me closer than before. "I'm so sorry,"

"Peter," I soothed, wrapping my arms around his neck. "It's okay, I'm right here and I'm not leaving."

My heart clenched when I felt his tears drip down my skin. I knew I should have come here right after my simulation; not only for me but for Peter. While I was being selfish and only thinking of myself, Peter was probably checking the door every two seconds in hopes that I would come through them so he can be reassured that what he did wasn't real. We may all know that the simulation was fake but it felt so real that it was hard to think that it wasn't, therefore needing physical proof that what happened didn't in fact, happen.

"I don't want to do another simulation tomorrow," Molly grumbled as we exited the dining room.

"No one does," Drew stated, grabbing her hand as we started walking towards our dorm.

Peter and I stayed silent, his arm wrapped tightly around my hips. Ever since I came back from my walk after the simulation, the both of us never left each other and we always had a part of us touching the other; whether is was our shoulders touching, or his arm wrapped around me or just the both of us holding hands.

As we walked through the Pit, I did everything in my power to not react and to just walk forward until I was out on the other side.

Unfortunately, the four of us didn't make it very far before someone called out my name.

I turned around quickly, grabbing a fistful of Peter's shirt in the process as I felt my heart rising to my throat. But I soon calmed down once I realized that it was Eric who was calling my name from the tattoo parlor. Behind him, two girls came out and followed him towards us.