Chapter eight: Christine... Christine...

I was reading the paper when I saw something I'd never thought I'd see... Christine is coming to America to sing in the new Manhattan opera house which opens shortly after the season ends on Coney. I ran to Erik's office to tell him the news.

"Mr. Y!" I said when I entered.

"Yes Jac," Erik asked not looking away from his piano.

"Take a look at this," I said giving him the paper, "a surprise announcement, from Mr Oscar Hammerstein, Christine Daae is leaving Paris in two days to come and sing in his new Manhattan opera house,"

'Christine... Christine...' he sang.

'Christine..' I sang after him.

"I need to get her here," Erik said.

"Good luck with that mate," I said putting my hands on my hips.

"I'll double the amount than what Hammerstein will give her," he told me, "anything to hear my Angel sing again."

"Your obsession of her is like a drug, I swear," I said before leaving.

(Time skip)

Today was the day Christine arrived in America and it was also close to the end of the season on Coney. I was driving a carriage with no horses with Gangle, Fleck and Squelch in the back. We arrived at the docks and I heard a young boy sing to Christine.

'Mother look! Right over there, across the square, what is it?" He asked.

Squelch, Gangle and Fleck got out of the carriage and I got out the driver seat.

'Are you ready to begin?' Squelch asked Christine, Raoul and the boy, 'are you ready to get on? You're about to start out on the journey of your lives.'

"Is this some kind of joke?" Raoul asked annoyed.

"Nah, it's a publicity stunt for that freak show on Coney!" An onlooker told Raoul.

"It's a front-page feature, is what it is!" A reporter seconded, "you getting this Smitty?"

"You betcha." The photographer said.

'If you're ready then get in,' Gangle told them, 'once you're in then we'll get gone and who knows once it goes where you'll be when it arrives?'

"This is outrageous!" Raoul said clearly pissed off.

"It's amazing," someone said.

"Brilliant," another said.

"I'm telling you, that Mr Y is an absolute genius." Someone said which I had to agree with.

'It's a funhouse where the mirrors all reflect what's real,' Fleck sang.

'And reality's as twisted as the mirrors reveal...' Fleck and I sang.

'And the fun is finding out what the mirrors show' the four of us sang together.

"This is unacceptable! Do you hear me?" Raoul asked before facing and pointing a finger at me, "I will be taking this up with your employer, whoever he is!"

Why exactly was he yelling at me about this? We are only doing what we've been told to do. What happened to the Vicomte in ten years?

'Everything and everyone, it's all just how I dreamed,' I heard a voice sing pulling me out of my thoughts, 'all the freaks and all the fun, exactly how I dreamed!'