Chapter ten: Devil take the hindmost

It was the next morning and I was putting my masquerade mask on since apparently, Raoul didn't recognize me from ten years ago without it. I made my way to Suicide Hall and Raoul was there talking to Meg when I arrived through the back door. I took the bartender away from the stand and shoved him into a closet telling him to stay inside until I say he can come out.

"Miss Giry!" Raoul shouted after Meg when I walked into the room, "I'm not afraid of him! I've bested him before and if he ever had the courage to meet me face to face, man to man!"

He turned to me and stared in disbelief.

"No... no, it can't be!" He said backing away.

"Not afraid of him you say?" I asked sitting on the bar stand.

"Stay back or I'll kill you, I promise you!" He warned.

I laughed swinging my legs over the stand and slipping down, "insolent boy, you think you own more of her soul than he does?"

"She is my wife," he told me, "his music may speak to her but her heart will always follow me."

"You think so?" I asked raising an eyebrow, "you really think so? Follow you with all your.... charms?"

'Look at you, deep in debt, stinking drunk, pitiful,' I sang, 'shall we two make a bet? Devil take the hindmost.'

'Look at you, foul as sin, hideous, horrible,' he sang, 'call the stakes, deal me in, Devil take the hindmost.'

'Your Christine shall choose tonight,' I said.

'Let her choose,' Raoul said.

'Is she yours or his?' I asked.

'Draw the line,' he told me.

'If she sings, you lose tonight,' I said.

'I won't lose,' he said with confidence.

'You leave from here,'

"Fine."

'Disappear,'

'Fine and if she won't?' He asked, 'if I win?'

'All your debts wiped away,' I told him with a quick wave of my hand.

'Very well, let's begin,' be sang putting his hand out to shake.

'Devil take the hindmost,' we sang shaking hands.

'He thinks he has the odds/ your old game/ he thinks he's in control/it's been changed' we sang over each other, 'he thinks he fixed the dice/every throw/well I will gladly roll/riskier/I'll bet against the house/all the rules/I'll even double down/rearranged.'

'Fate has redesigned most,' I said letting go of his hand.

'Fortune's on my side/cut the deck/I won her long ago!/let us play/I won her from him then/you and him/I'll wager even now/once again/and when the game is done!/In the end.'

'Either way!' I said.

'Devil take the hindmost!' We sang again,'now Christine shall choose at last, is she his/your or mine/his?'

'We've a son,' Raoul told me, 'our bond's secure.'

But I knew otherwise, 'are you sure?'