Chapter 4 ~ We Do It For Them

Episode: Season 15 - Atomic Monsters Pt. 3

"Then what?" Sam pressed the boy to finish his story.

"I told my mom and dad," he confessed.

"So, you, what chopped up the body? Made it look like some wannabe Bundy?" Dean snapped at the parents.

"And then grabbed Tori and-and kept her as his own personal blood bag?" Sam finished in disgust, "Awesome parenting. Awesome,"

"This is not Billy's fault," the dad defended, "He was the victim! What were we supposed to do?"

The Winchesters were silent, reproving before Dean spoke up, "You were gonna let me just cut off your head,"

"You don't have children do you?"

The words felt heavy as they hung in the air, my eyes and heart alike hardening at the words.

"No. No, not really." I answered for him, my gaze leveled with that of Dean's.

His expression was, as always, unreadable when it came to me.

"Because if you did, you would know that to see your child in pain rips your heart out," the man went on obliviously, "And you'd know that you'd do anything. You'd die for them,"

"Or kill for them." the mother agreed, raising her gun higher.

But finally, after a little persuading, Billy was able to talk them both down. And afterward...well. Things didn't really end well for him. The guys, they...sent us to the Impala while they took Billy to the woods and...took care of it.

The drive that night was mostly quiet, the only sound the low murmur of voices from the front seat and Roman's soft snoring from where he lie, curled up in his hoodie. And from the turn in conversation, it was clear both brothers assumed I was asleep as well.

"...what Henry did - we would've done the same thing. For Jack. If we'd had the chance," Sam was saying, his voice lowering then, "We'd do it for Yaz and Romy,"

"Yeah. Yeah, we would," Dean agreed, leading me to wonder just which one he was agreeing to before he continued, "Look, man, I get it. I get it. We have lost way, way too much. And it's hard not to feel like just cashing out..."

They were silent then, the only sound breaking it being the soft hum of Baby.

"I felt like that...when she left," he admitted quietly, grip tightening slightly on the steering wheel so that his knuckles turned white, "But you know what brought me back?...You did. You saying that what we do still matters,"

"I mean, that's why I wanted to drag us all out here, that's why I wanted to to work a case, to save lives, you know? 'Cause it is, it's a-it's an awful job. We do the ugly things so that people can live happy,"

"Yeah...yeah," Sam finally agreed, nodding in response to Dean's speech, "Lucky them,"

"Yeah, lucky them. But it doesn't change a thing. You know what I mean? We still do the job. But we don't do it for us," Dean pressed on, "We do it for them."

I felt myself start to become drowsy then, the day's proceedings finally hitting me.

So much so that as my emerald green orbs fluttered shut, I didn't notice the identical gaze through the rear-view mirror locked on me as I fell asleep.