Chapter 18 ~ Don't Go Yet

Episode: Season 15 - Last Call Pt. 5

Roman's POV:

My heart pounded in my chest, the sound reverberating in my ears as I pressed my back to the wall. The corridor of the Bunker was empty, silent, making it easier to hear every word being said in the other room.

Sam had tried something drastic to get rid of the tie he had to Chuck. We all tried to stop him, thought it was for the best to leave it be. But he wouldn't have it. And now? Now he was stuck in there, in a coma and maybe, just maybe...

"What do you mean he's dying?" Cas asked the shaman he'd called in to help.

"I imagine you were trying to ascertain the exact nature of the wound before this, yes?" he asked us, flipping through a notebook while he talked.

"Yes," Eileen said in a 'duh' tone.

"Ah, well, there you go. Most wounds want to be healed, to be whole. But this, this wound is different. It goes down to his very soul," he told Cas and Eileen, "But also out into the world. From what I can tell, his soul, it's connected to something or someone somewhere. Except, as you probed deeper, you forced the soul to stretch from Sam's body to..."

"Where?"

"I don't know. But now it's like a rubber band. If it is stretched too far, too long, pop, it snaps, and Sam dies,"

I swallowed down a thick lump of fear in my throat, feeling my chest tighten at the words.

"Can you fix it?"

"Of course I can." Sergei said matter-of-factly.

Afterward, the dude - Sergei - put some homemade salve on Sam's shoulder. Cas let me in the room then as we waited.

"There. Done," Sergei said as he finished up, standing back to admire his work.

"And nothing's happening," the angel stated, glaring over at the shaman.

"Wait for it." he said as we watched.

Suddenly, Sam began gasping in pain, his body spasming.

"Sam? Sam!" Eileen exclaimed, rushing to his side as my eyes widened, watching my father as he writhed in agony.

"What are you doing?" Cas asked Sergei.

He shrugged, "I made it worse,"

"You said he could die!"

"Will die. And soon,"

"No!" I shouted at him and I was by my father's side in an instant, glaring daggers up at the man who had worsened his pain.

Eileen tried to wipe off the salve then but Sergei stopped her, "That won't help. It's already done. Unless..."

"What?" Castiel asked him suspiciously.

"You give me what I want." he countered.

Cas and Eileen took him out in the hallway then to talk as I stayed behind with Sam, gazing down at his unconscious form. Tears built in my dark brown eyes, trying to stop them from coming to no avail as it suddenly hit me all at once - I didn't even know him. I didn't even know my own father. And now I might never get the chance to.

I swallowed as warm teardrops trickled down my cheeks. All this time - all these months - that I'd been here, I'd had the chance to get to know him. And instead of trying as he had, all I'd done was push him aside. I let my own fear of getting hurt dictate getting to know the man who shared half of my DNA, half of who I was. When all he'd ever done was try. After all, he'd never even gotten the choice on knowing me - I was only a baby when mom left.

My chest heaved then with the un-shed tears as Eileen, Cas, and Sergei stepped back into the room. Eileen walked over to where I sat on the bed beside Sam and wrapped an arm around me, pulling me into her side in a motherly way.

"It's alright, Roman. We're gonna fix him. He's going to be okay, I promise." she told me, pushing a stray curl from my forehead.

Sergei walked over then, putting his hands above Sam's form as he began to chant. His hands glowed with power and my eyes widened as we all took a step back. With a heaving gasp, taking air back into his lungs, Sam awoke.

"Sam? Are you okay?" Eileen asked as Sam glanced around the room at us, eyes lighting on me briefly.

"I think," he nodded in response.

"What about your wound?" Cas asked him.

Sam checked his shoulder then, briefly pushing back his shirt to reveal the wound.

"It's still there, but he's back. So we good?" Sergei asked Castiel.

The angel said through gritted teeth, "For now,"

"Mm. I like this you, Castiel. It's very... Russian." he said with a smirk as he left the Bunker.

Sam looked over at me then, eyes filled with concern connecting to my own.

"Roman?"

"Dad!" I choked out, falling into his arms in a bone-crushing hug.

Shocked at my outburst, Sam sucked in a breath as slowly, he hugged me back. Tears ran down my cheeks as he held onto me. And suddenly, I was glad things had turned out the way they had. My life had been uprooted, leaving Louisiana. But I was here, I was with my dad. 

And maybe we could finally know each other - truly.