Chapter 5 ~ Beignets at Breakfast

Roman's POV:

"Ro-ome. Rome. Romy!" a voice called, cutting through the lingering haze of sleep.

But it wasn't the voice that was effective in waking me. No, rather it was the rank smell of my sister's foot in my face.

Cringing upon opening my brown eyes, I shoved her combat boot out of my face, "Get your putrid feet away from me!"

"Ooh. Someone's not very friendly this morning," Yasmin teased, smirking over at me from the other side of the Impala.

I rolled my eyes. Sometimes my big sister could be an absolute pain.

"Come on," she changed the subject, slapping me lightly on the shoulder before wrenching the car door open, "Time for breakfast. The guys are already inside,"

Climbing out of the Impala, the sweet smells of pastries hit me. I breathed it in with a slight smile on my face. Gotta love Louisiana. Yaz and I had grown up here, in fact it was all we'd ever known. It felt good to be back.

By the time we entered the tiny diner, Sam and Dean had since ordered, the waitress having already brought over the steaming hot plates of food. Taking a seat beside Yasmin on the other side of the booth, Sam cleared his throat before speaking.

"We need to create a plan on how to get Parker back. Where was she last seen?" he cut to the chase.

Yasmin and I shared a look before I replied, "The night before she disappeared, she said she was headed out to the bayou. Something...something was stalking the town. Something dangerous. She wouldn't give more information than that but..."

"But we suspected it was a rougarou," Yasmin finished for me.

"And this was here?" Dean broke in.

My sister nodded in answer, "Just 20 minutes outside of the city or so."

Sam fell silent in thought, eyebrows furrowed. I couldn't help but observe him as he did. At this angle, with that expression...I could actually see just how much I favored my father. Dark strands of hair fell across his forehead and I pushed back my own absentmindedly.

"Alright. Then that's where we'll look first." Dean said decidedly, serious despite the flecks of white powdered sugar that had fallen down the front of his shirt.

I glanced over at Yasmin then who'd already taken a large bit of her own beignet...and rolled my eyes. Clearly, she'd spilled all over her own self as well, her mouth a powder-white stained mirror image of Dean's. Sighing, I shook my head, sharing a look of exasperation with Sam.

"Okay, guys. Let's go catch ourselves a rougarou." Sam stated, tossing a wad of crumpled-up cash onto the diner table before both of us began to drag our siblings out the door.

It was time to get mom back.

Note: And just so we're clear, there is no shameless promoting of my Louisiana rougarou book, Heir of the Alpha, in this ;) XD