Chapter 29 ~ The Built-In Angel Babysitter

Episode: Season 15 - Gimme Shelter Pt. 1

"Well, I should go with you,"

"Cas, it's probably nothing,"

"So, what, I'm supposed to just sit here?"

I almost grinned at how human Cas was starting to sound as he argued with Sam. Clearly, I had been away too long - now he was sounding just like the rest of us.

"Well, somebody's gotta keep an eye on Jack and the kids in case Billie shows up for Jack's, uh, thing," Dean told him as we walked down the long hallway that stretched from here to the library.

"Right, while you track down one of the most powerful beings in existence and lie to her face," Cas pointed out, trudging along behind us.

My husband just shrugged in response to that, "Exactly,"

"Dean, Amara is dangerous! You can't just charge in,"

"We're not, okay?" Dean groaned, shaking his head at Cas' rebuttals.

"Because you two used to have a thing?" Cas frowned in confusion.

Sam shot him a warning glance but it was too late. My eyes flicked to Dean, arching my eyebrows. He sent me an innocent smile in return and I rolled my eyes as we walked into the library where all the kids were sitting around a table with a laptop flipped open.

"Dad, what's this case about?" Roman asked as soon as we stepped foot inside.

"Uh...wouldn't worry about it," Sam waved him off, "It's, uh, not our kind of thing,"

"You sure, it's, uh, nothing spooky?" Dean asked him.

"I mean...a kid got killed. It's tragic, obviously. But, uh, local cops can handle it,"

Dean made a face, "Yeah, great. But you know, why don't you three and Cas go run it down just to be sure?"

"Really?" the kids asked in unison, exchanging happy glances with each other while Cas replied with an incredulous, "What?"

"Yeah. You said you didn't want to sit around here and after the whole Mrs. Butters thing..."

"Mrs. Whats?" Cas asked, arching an eyebrow.

"Just get out there, ya know? Stay busy," Dean told him, gesturing with his eyes towards the kids.

Ohh, it made sense now. Cas was going to babysit. Forgot we had a full-time angelic version of that here.

"With a murder investigation?" Cas asked slowly.

I made a face, "He's got a point, Dean."

Dean ignored that, though, pointedly smiling over at Cas so he'd get the hint. And finally, it must have dawned on him because his blue eyes flicked to me and Sam then.

"Sam? Parker?" he pleaded.

"Dean's not wrong. And look, this case, maybe you can help," Sam told him honestly.

Roman, Yasmin, and Jack's eyes followed this exchange with rapt attention, awaiting the verdict. And as Cas said nothing, the three of them began to smile, knowing they'd won this round.

"Alright. You guys go Highway to Heaven that monster." Dean told them with a satisfied smile.

But as we turned to leave, I saw Jack grab Yasmin's hand under the table. It was a sweet gesture which instantly brought a smile to my face. All I ever wanted since coming back to this life was Yaz and Romy to find some sense of normalcy and it looks like with Jack, Yaz may have found that. But evidently, the sight of his daughter holding the hand of a boy - even if it was his semi-adopted son - was not a welcome one to Dean.

His smile quickly melted into that of a scowl and he walked off the way of the garage, grumbling to himself.

"I'll get my suit," Jack said then with a bright smile as I turned to follow after the boys.

Just before I turned the corner, I heard Roman join in and couldn't help but laugh at the expression I knew was on Cas' face at this very moment.

"Can we wear matching ties?"