the end | kairi

KAIRI HAD NO IDEA WHY Mattia had suddenly cut himself off from the group. He had left all the groupchats, stopped hanging out with people, even skipped days of school. He was upset, Kairi knew that and completely understood why. But even so, there was no reason for him to just desert all of the friends who had been there for him for the majority of highschool. He had never done this before, even with all the beef that had gone down between all of them; Mattia had never left his friends the way he did now. Kairi supposed Mattia just wanted space, but he of all people should know that the longer something went without explanation, the longer people speculated.

Rumors spread like wildfire, and Kairi was growing sick and tired of it. Every single day he walked through the horrid doors of his highschool, there would be whispers, stares, nasty comments mumbled just loud enough so Kairi could hear them as he walked by. The worst part about it, though, was that he couldn't do shit about it. This was Mattia's battle, but it didn't mean he had to fight it alone. All of his friends were willing to stand with him, but Mattia had decided to just deal with everything alone, and even then it seemed as though he wasn't doing anything. Every time Kairi thought about that, it frustrated him because he wasn't normally like this. If something was bothering him, his friends were the first to know - so why was this any different? 

It had been 3 days since Kairi had sent him a nonchalant text about the homework. His intention wasn't actually to find out the homework, but to gauge how Mattia may have been feeling. He supposed he shouldn't have been surprised with Mattia's response, the 'idk' was very characteristically him. But at the same time, it had felt just the slightest bit off. Kairi didn't know why, but it just wasn't right. He left Mattia alone after that, knowing that his friend would want some space, a breather from all the questions and rumors. But Kairi was growing tired of Mattia's facade, it had been over a week since the video had come out and there had been no word from him.

As soon as Kairi got home from school that day, he sent a private text to Mattia. 

bro, wtf is up w u? no ones really or heard from u

A minute later, there was a response.

from bIg BoY mAtTiA 🥵 just now

dont know why its any of ur business

Kairi felt like throwing his phone on the ground, strangling Mattia, and jumping out a window all at once.

fuck off w the attitude. whats wrong

from bIg BoY mAtTiA 🥵 just now

nothing. leave me alone

With that message, Kairi was sent over the edge. He dropped off his backpack and went out to his garage to get a soccer ball, then sent one final text to Mattia. 

meet me on the field in 5

He stuffed his phone into his pant pocket, not caring to see what Mattia said. Kairi couldn't bank on Mattia showing up, but if the man was anything worth his salt he would. They were going to have a serious talk.

Kairi walked over to the school's soccer field, kicking the ball as he went. If anything, they could just have a 1 on 1 so they could each let out their anger on an unsuspecting soccer ball. When Kairi arrived, no one was there, but he began dribbling the ball up and down the field, working up a sweat. Soccer cleared his mind like nothing else (except music maybe) could. 

A half-hour passed, and Kairi was about to give up on Mattia showing up when he saw a grey figure approaching the field. As the figure came closer, Kairi could make out someone who looked very much like Mattia. And sure enough, it was.