a new beginning (epilogue) + q&a

"KAIRI, I GOT IN! I FUCKING GOT IN!" Mattia's hands were trembling, his third college acceptance in his hands. He kept rereading the words on the page, not quite believing that they were there. 

Dear Mr. Polibio,

It is our pleasure to offer you a place in the Class of 2025 here at  New York University.  We believe that your academic and personal achievements will be a great addition to our campus, and we hope to see you in the fall.

Our dedication to the students is imperative, and it starts with YOU.

Best regards,

Richard Revesz

Dean of New York University

Mattia hadn't expected to get into NYU. His grades hadn't been the highest, and he didn't do much outside of school besides soccer, and even then his extracurriculars were slim. But he was grateful for the acceptance nonetheless, and would cherish it regardless of where he went.

"Where?" Kairi hurried into Mattia's kitchen, finding the taller boy holding his acceptance letter.

"Read it," Mattia urged, shoving it into Kairi's hands. Kairi took it, reading it himself. With each sentence the smaller boy read, his eyes grew larger and smile wider. 

"Mattia, this is amazing!" Kairi wrapped his arms around the taller boy, bringing him into a congratulatory hug, "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thank you," Mattia returned the hug, kissing the top of the smaller boy's head. 

NYU was Mattia's number one choice for college. It had the program he wanted, not to mention the fact that he would be in the city. It would be fairly easy to go back to New Jersey when he wanted, and overall had everything he felt he needed to succeed in college. The only problem was that if he decided to go, he wouldn't be near Kairi, who had already committed to Boston University. Granted, it was only about a 4-hour car ride, but that was still longer than he wanted.

Mattia really just didn't want him and Kairi to be one of those couples to break up a month into college. He knew that that was a common occurrence, but he was determined to not be a part of those occurrences. He and Kairi had been dating nearly a year, and he wanted that year to turn into years even though reality worked against them.

"You look like you're thinking," Kairi's voice brought Mattia out of his head, causing the taller boy to look down at him. 

"It's nothing," Mattia shrugged it off, averting his eyes. He didn't wanna bring it up, knowing that it would only ruin the mood. Kairi could sense that Mattia really didn't want to talk about it, so he didn't press for more. Besides, he figured he had an idea as to what was going on in Mattia's head.

"It'll all be okay, you know," Kairi gently took Mattia's chin in his hand, guiding the taller boy to meet his eyes. Mattia's deep eyes were filled with sadness, making Kairi's heart squeeze. He didn't respond, so Kairi took the silence as a chance to reassure his boyfriend.

"This is such an amazing opportunity for you, Mattia. You loved it at NYU when you visited," Kairi spoke softly, "I really think you should go."

"But the distance -" Mattia started, but Kairi shushed him.

"That doesn't matter," Kairi reassured him, "We'll find a way to see each other."