pushing boundaries | mattia

BEING PART OF THE NEW JERSEY BOYS again was something that brought Mattia much joy. He finally felt normal again - no more lonely Friday nights, no more wallowing in self-pity. He was genuinely happy; his life was perfect. Mattia vowed that he would never let something as stupid as an old video ruin his life again.

Mattia and Kairi often spent their evenings together, making TikToks, having deep conversations, playing video games - everything that they had done before things had all went to hell. Mattia found himself spending more time with Kairi than he ever had before, the two of them always being found side by side. Their friendship became stronger than ever, and Mattia began to believe that nothing could ever come between them again.

But even though their friendship had grown stronger, Mattia could sense that something was off. Ever since Kairi had told Mattia about his situation, Kairi had been tense and evasive, things that Kairi hadn't ever really been. Mattia hadn't thought much of Kairi's issue, especially because boners weren't a big deal to him, but if it really mattered to Kairi, it mattered to him.

A few days after their initial talk, Mattia decided to approach Kairi again, hoping that his friend would be willing to shed more light onto the issue. They had decided to go to the mall one afternoon and had wandered into a local Zumiez. Kairi and Mattia wandered about the shop, stopping to look at the various clothes.

"Hey Kai," Mattia asked, lowering his voice in case anyone around him could hear, "can I ask you something?"

"Shoot," Kairi responded, a colorful sweatshirt catching his eye.

"Are you...okay?" Mattia asked, unsure of how to ask Kairi about his little issue.

"I'm fine, why?" Kairi asked, turning his attention to Mattia. He raised an eyebrow in question, confused as to why Mattia would be asking something like that.

"Um, okay, good," Mattia scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Mattia, what's this about?" Kairi sighed, finding himself irritated because Mattia was clearly not being straightforward with him.

"You've been acting different lately," Mattia blurted, "ever since you told me about the... situation," he inwardly cringed, knowing how it sounded.

"Seriously? You're gonna bring that up here?" Kairi hissed, his face going red.

"I didn't know how else to ask," Mattia admitted sheepishly, "there never seemed to be a good time."

"And you think now is?" Kairi looked around before grabbing Mattia's wrist, dragging him out of the store.

"Okay, so maybe not my smartest move," Mattia removed his wrist from Kairi's grasp and massaged it tenderly. Kairi narrowed his eyes, clearly upset with his friend.

"You think?" Kairi asked incredulously, "We're in a mall for fuck's sake!"

"I get it! Jeez," Mattia mumbled. It was his turn to blush, a deep red blooming on his cheeks. Kairi took a deep breath before speaking, trying to even his tone.

"I appreciate your concern," Kairi stated, "but really, everything is fine." His voice was insistent, but Mattia knew better.

"You're lying," Mattia said plainly, "I can tell."

"Uh huh," Kairi rolled his eyes.

"Kai, come on. Ever since you told me about your little incident, you've been acting strange. I can barely tease you anymore without you losing your shit," Mattia explained, "why won't you tell me anything?"

"Seriously? Mr. I'm-gonna-shut-everyone-out-for-months is gonna accuse me of not saying anything?" Kairi retorted.

"That's unfair - " Mattia started, but Kairi interrupted him.