Chapter 23

Previously!

Once the male could smell that you were finally calming down, he redirected his attention to the birds that were constantly chanting "South-southeast! You must head Southeast!" With a whining tone, "We know! We heard you both loud and clear! So quiet down and give us a break!" The two birds flocked to his face and continued to chant, but now even louder. "I'm begging you! We already got the message! Please!"

And right when Tanjiro said 'Please!', an ear-shattering 'Please!' came from ahead of you both, leaving you both cringing at such a screech. 

On to Chapter 23!

Your eyes traveled to where the sudden scream came from. Finding the source of the noise, you could see that it was one of the boys that attended the selection. "Oh, it's that one guy who thinks he's going to die," you said blatantly, catching your male companion by surprise. "W-What? What do you mean by that (Y/N)chan?" Now realizing what you had blurted out, you immediately clarified what you meant. "Oh! Well, at the selection, I overheard him talking to himself, mainly about how he was going to die to a demon. Sorry if that was sudden..." You chuckled lightly as the boy nodded, understanding what you meant.

After you two's small conversation, a small sparrow was frantically flying towards you both. Tanjiro stuck his hand out first in order to let the small bird land in his hand. It chirped uncontrollably as it flapped it's wings. You merely tilted your head at what the bird was trying to convey since you couldn't understand it. Hoping that Tanjiro held the same confusion as you, you turned your tilted head towards him. But, to your surprise, you saw him nodding and understanding the bird. 'How on earth?! How are you understanding such a tiny bird?!' You mentally screamed, completely bewildered by Tanjiro's hidden talent.

"I see! Gotcha!" Your sunny-haired male exclaimed out loud as he looked forward at the troublesome male in the yellow who was clinging to a girl with his eyes a flowing river. The bird looked relieved and happy to know that Tanjiro was able to understand it. Turning to you with determined and serious eyes, "Let's go (Y/N)chan!" Your face contorted with confusion, which made the male have to stifle a laugh, "Let's go!" He yelled out once more, trying to ignore your confused face which he found quite cute. The aforementioned male now pulled you towards the other two individuals that stood in the middle of the road. 

"Please help me! Please marry me!" You heard the yellow-haired male yell with anguish. You sweat-dropped as you heard the crying boys words. Once standing behind him, Tanjiro let go of your hand and instead grabbed the back-neck of the blond's haori. You placed a hand over your mouth to cover your giggles; your giggles being caused by Tanjiro's angry expression and the unknown males snotty and teary self. "What do you think you're doing right in the middle of the road?!" Your friend began to yell, "Can't you see she wants no part of you?!" Referencing the girl that the blond was clinging to. "And don't go making trouble for your sparrow, either!" He ended. 

The male merely furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the wine-eyed male that was scolding him. "That uniform! You're that guy from the selection!" The unknown boys words seemed to had set off Tanjiro, "NO ONE I KNOW IS ANYTHING LIKE YOU! I DON'T KNOW YOU!" Your friend finally exploded. The yellow-fading-to-orange haired male cried out in denial. Placing your hand on your red-headed friends shoulder, "Tanjiro-kun," you giggled into his ear, not being to stop yourself, finding this situation pretty entertaining, "there's no need to explode." The boy looked at you briefly with tiny pupils as he heard your words, not knowing how to react when he heard your giggle in his ear.