Chapter 24

Previously!

Tanjiro could feel a vein pop from his forehead as he watched you try to push away the clinging male off of you. Marching up to the both of you with heavy steps, he pulled Zenitsu off of you by grabbing the back of his haori. "When someone asks you to get off of them," putting the male on the other side of the road away from you, "you get off of them!" The aforementioned male let go of Zenitsu's haori and now gripped his shoulders instead,

"Now tell me, what was your reason of becoming a swordsmen!"

On to Chapter 24!

(A/N- Sorry for not updating! It's been a very hectic week and I couldn't find the time to write! I hope you enjoy this chapter and I apologize once more for not updating!)

"And why are you being so blatantly shameless?" Your burgundy haired friend said, never sugar-coating his words. Zenitsu's face paled at his words, "That's a harsh way to put it!" He whined. Beads of tears came from the boy's eyes now, "I got swindled by a woman and racked up all this debt! The old geezer who took it over for me was a cultivator!" The boy shrilled his entire story to both you and Tanjiro. With a creased forehead and squinted eyes, you watched the overly-loud male bend his back into an arch while yelling "Scared! Scared! Scared!" And it didn't help how his eyes seemed to have literally pop out of his eye sockets as he thought out-loud about how he would be eaten by a demon. 

You uttered no words and merely sat in your spot, cross-legged, completely frozen at the dramatic males words. 'I understand that he doubts himself and is worried about his future, but I never imagined to such an extreme!' You commented to yourself as you sweat dropped. Exhaling a heavy sigh, you pushed yourself up off the dirt road and brush yourself off before walking over to where the two boys were. Tanjiro, now consoling the other male, was clearly worried about his mental state; you squatted down next to the yellow haired male. "You can always talk to both of us if you're unsure about what's going to happen to you, Zenitsu." Your voice soft as you motioned to both yourself and Tanjiro. The golden and brown eyed male looked at you both, switching his eyes from Tanjiro's head to yours. After a few looks, he began to bawl once more, and instead, brought you both close to him with his elbows. Well, he brought you close. 

After finally being released from your new companion, the three of you continued to walk in a calm silence. With Zenitsu walking in between you and Tanjiro, you broke the soft silence with a simple question, "Are you feeling better now, Zenitsu?" The blonde male nodded, "A little better..." With dry tear stains on his cheeks, he continued looking at the ground. "But now that I'm calmer, I'm getting hungry," his voice slightly whining. "Do you not have any food on you?" Tanjiro now questioned, but now with a warm smile. With a sad voice, "Nope." Responded Zenitsu. 

Your new companions response made your heart ache a little bit; his broken and defeated tone really pulled your heart strings. 'It's a shame that I don't have food on me... It can't be helped...' Taking your eyes away from the two boys, you returned your sight to straight ahead of you; the dirt road seeming to go on endlessly. Keeping your eyes focused straight ahead, you tuned out your friends small talk with one-another. That is until the blonde male tapped your shoulder delicately. 

Turning your head quickly, you found a sweet smile from Tanjiro and a questioning expression on Zenitsu's face. "Would you like to eat also, (Y/N)chan?" Tanjiro asked you, raising a split onigiri in his hand. You could feel your mouth begin salivating once you thought about eating some onigiri, which caused the corners of your mouth to rise slightly. But taking a quick glance at Zenitsu's hand, he too, had a split rice-ball. 'Oh, they split it.' You paused for a moment, 'Zenitsu and Tanjiro are probably just as hungry as I am...' The corners of your mouth now fell, 'I think I'll pass on the onigiri.'  After a quick moment of thinking about it and coming to an answer, "I'll pass. I'm pretty full from that curry on rice still." You felt yourself cringe at your lie as your stomach begged to growl like a territorial dog, but you continued to smile. Zenitsu accepted your response and continued to eat his own half of his onigiri, but Tanjiro didn't accept your answer so easily.