Chapter 18

Vanessa

Gilinsky and Johnson had flown down here last night from LA. All I've been doing is sitting upstairs in my room for the past 2 days. Since I can't use my phone or watch TV, I've been getting back into my drawing.

Drawing has always been something I loved to do since I was young. My dad used to draw all the time, he was the one who got me into it. Every time he drew something we would both frame and hang it up together.

My dad was my best friend, then one day he just left. I was 7 when he left. He left leaving no sign of where he was going, or why he left. He wrote me a letter saying that he was going to be gone for a while.

I remember running outside to see if his car was parked outside, after reading the letter. I stayed outside for a while waiting for him to come home, and after 2 hours of waiting I gave up and started crying on the end of my driveway. That's actually how me and Sammy started talking.

I had always seen him playing outside across the street, but we never really talked to each other. That day he yelled from across the street asking if I was okay. I shook my head at him and he walked over. I told him about my dad and the letter.

Sammy told me that he was gonna promise to be my best friend and make my dad regret ever leaving me. He kept his promise. Sammy was the only person that I would talk to, I was never one to have a big group of friends and go out everyday. It took me a while to even start talking to Gilinsky, Johnson, and Nate after Sammy invited them to hang with us a couple times. I'm glad I still have them in my life, well besides Nate.

I do hope that we can fix things with Nate later on. He was a good friend, and he's one of Sammy's best friends I hate that I tore them apart.

My mom told me earlier that Sammy had called to say he was coming over with the Jacks. It kinda sucks how I can't go out, they probably want to go out with all their old friends and party, but can't cause I'm stuck here.

"Hey Vanessa." I see Johnson walk through the door.

"Hey guys." I smile at them

"How ya feelin?" G asks me.

"I'm doing better, thanks."

"Holy shit is this what you've been doing the past 2 days?" Sammy says looking at my drawings stacked on my nightstand.

"Yea, there's not much you can do these days without a screen." I laugh, they all chuckle.

"It must be nice though, getting away from all that for a while." Johnson sighs.

"It really is, it would be better if I was able to go out and adventure or something, but since I can't this is all I'm doing." I say holding up my pencil.

"We should go out exploring one day, no phones, just us." Sammy says.

"That's much needed." G says.

"We should definitely plan something out once I get better." I tell them. They all nod.

"You guys have any plans for tonight?" I ask bringing up a conversation.

"We were actually planning on having a guys night with some of the old crew, but if you want we can stay with you tonight." Sammy says laying next to me on the bed.

"No it's cool, you guys go hang out with your boys, I'll be fine." I smile lightly.

Of course I was going to let them hang out with their friends who they haven't seen in a couple years. Sure I was a little upset that I'd be alone for the third night in a row, but I wasn't going to stop them from having fun.

"You sure?" Sammy asks.

"Yea." I smile at him. "Go." I laugh.

"Love you Vanessa, we will for sure stay here tomorrow and we can find something to do." Gilinsky laughs.

"You better." I laugh.

"Alright, we are gonna head out. I love you." Sammy says getting up off the bed.

"What?" I say shocked looking up at him.

"What, is that weird. We always used to say that, we're best friends right." He says quickly.

"Yea, best friends. Sorry it's ju- it's been a while and I'm n- yea." I say.

Of course he meant it in a friendly way. I couldn't help but blush. That was so embarrassing. My heart skipped a beat when he said it, I was shocked.

"Yea I mean it's not like I, yanno." He chuckles awkwardly.

"Right, no way." I fake laugh.

"Alright we'll I'll be here tomorrow, bye." He says and kisses my forehead before walking out.

"Bye Vanessa." G says giving me a pat on the shoulder and a sympathetic smile.

"Sorry kid." Johnson says smiling lightly at me. I shake my head at him a few tears slipping out.

"Don't cry V." He hugs me lightly.

"I'm fine, it's just stupid." I say wiping the few tears.

"No it's not." He says. "I'm sure that was hard to hear. Just forget about it okay, don't think about it too much. Get some rest." He says before he walks out.

"I love you too."

Sammy

It slipped. It fucking slipped. I didn't mean to say It out loud like that. It's not like I didn't mean it, but I wasn't supposed to say it to her face.

"What the fuck was that?" G says following me out the front door.

"I don't know bro, it slipped." I said running my hand through my hair.

"You can't just say that to her and then say you didn't mean it. You'll mess with her emotions, she's already sensitive enough." He scolds.

"I know okay. I didn't say I didn't mean it, I just said I loved her in a different way. A friendly way." I say walking into my house. It was getting chilly here in Omaha.

"You and me both know you meant it the other way." He says.

"Okay so, she doesn't need to know that." I tell him.

"Bro why don't you just tell her." He says.

"Hell no, are you crazy." I laugh.

"Oh come on, there is definitely something there between the both of you. It's obvious." He says sitting next to me on the couch.

"I can't man, I don't want to lose her." I confess. "If I tell her and she doesn't feel the same way things will get weird, and we'll soon drift away. I don't want that."

"I get it man. But if you don't do it, someone else will. Then what would you do?" He points out. "It's your choice."

He's right.