032 : Chang Jian the Physician

If you talk about Chang, there is only the Chang family that served the Yans for decades. It all started from the first reign of the Yan Dynasty after oppressing the tyrannical ruler of the former empire. The Chang Family is a group of respected scholars that helped the Yans to raise their bloodline.

It could be said that the reason for the empire's prosperity is due to the close management of the two families.

Due to this reason, the relationship between the two kins is always good. There is no so-called 'internal conflict' happening since the interest of the two families differs from their goals. Actually, the two families had become so familiar that only marriage is needed to connect the bloodline.

Unfortunately, there is no way for the two families to come in terms of "marriage". It might be the work of the gods or some supernatural forces that no matter what generation the two families had, they will always bore the same children. That is as though the natural force is not letting them become one as a whole.

Well, that is quite comforting though. The Yans carried great power alone, excluding all the resources each individual had. One command from the Yans is enough to conquer an empire. On the other hand, the Changs are known for their cleverness. They have guided the power the Yans carried and used their brains to bring it to the maximum output.

These two families are already strong in the premise of friendship, what possible devastating effect will they bring if they will be united? This thought is enough to cause an imbalance of power. The imagination is enough to show how they could trample countries all over whilst garnering great riches.

So, as to make things still fair, the gods made the two families close but never connected. This is what the elders used to say whenever they see their younger generations playing around. Seeing the similarities between the two families showed that they could not do anything but a compromise.

To explain further, let's say, the first generation of Yan Empire is all males. The first generation of the Changs are also males, so it is impossible to get their sons married. Having same-sex marriage is possible in terms of carrying the concubine title but they never thought of doing it. The same thing happened in the next generations, up to the next, and the next...

Though there are instances that a daughter and son were born in each family, it is still impossible to make the two a couple since they furiously showed their disgust. Simply saying, they could be the best of friends but marriage is pretty much out of the way. They can stay in the same room naked the whole year and nothing will happen between them.

It is very impossible.

This trait continued until recent times. Yan JinLong and Chang Jie had become friends since they were young so one could say that they were close. However, this closeness made the two of them promise to not have their children marry the other family at all costs. Still, the disgust remained on their blood so having the two families as one is infinitely impossible.

As of now, the main branch of the Chang family has two promising successors. The firstborns were twins. We already know the eldest of the twins, Chang Jie. Chang Jie is a renowned scholar who made it to the top using pure intelligence. It could be said that he is the youngest scholar from the Chang Family who made it through the exams without failure.

Chang Jie showed his promising talents when he was still young. While children of his age are still starting to walk and talk, Chang Jie is already calculating numbers. This kind of strange behavior caught the attention of his family so they started tutoring him early. This made him take the imperial exams much earlier.

Though, nobody knows who would become the next emperor during that time. Yan JinLong who is just a small figure at that time befriended the young scholar. And so, just by that, sealing Yan JinLong's fate as the next ruler became clear. But this story will not be told in this part.