Chapter 8

The week following the day that Bailey and I had 'hung out' was interesting. It seemed as if some days she wanted to talk to me and others she would go out of her way to avoid me. I didn't understand why since I thought that we had really hit it off that day at my house. We had gotten along so well and she honestly made me feel things that I had never felt before. It was different, and I liked it. Friday morning rolled around and I was eating breakfast at the table with my mum. She was stressing about her first day at her new job but I was convinced that she'd be amazing.

"Mum, seriously. You'll be great today! They wouldn't have hired you if they weren't confident that you could do it!" I told her seriously, taking a bite out of my apple.

"I know, you're right, I'm just so nervous. You know how it is..." she replied.

"Actually...no. That reminds me though, I really need to start looking for a job. I want to get a new car so I don't have to keep catching the bus to school," I told her.

"Well I did see some places in the mall that were hiring, perhaps you could look there?" she said, "We can go tomorrow and have a look around."

"Sounds good, Mum!" I said, throwing my apple core in the bin and walking to the front door. "See you when I get home! Good luck today!"

I walked briskly to the bus stop, the wind howling and whipping at my bare legs. Winter was fast approaching, and while Queensland winters were much warmer than South Australian winters it was still freezing cold. As it seemed, luck wasn't on my side that morning as the bus never showed. I began the twenty minute walk to school, wrapping my jacket tightly around myself. As I turned the corner onto the Main Street of Chadstone the familiar sound of a motorbike came roaring up beside me.

"Why are you walking, Lawrence? Don't you drive to school?" the rider asked. I watched as she pulled off her helmet to reveal her perfectly sculpted face and tousled hair. Gosh, Bailey was beautiful.

"Nope!" I said, popping the p, "I sold my car back in Adelaide. It wouldn't have made it up to Queensland anyway. My bus didn't show this morning," I explained.

"Well get on, you're coming with me," she said. She didn't have to say it twice. The thought of walking longer in this cold was not a good one, so I jumped onto the back of Bailey's bike and wrapped my arms around her torso.

"Fuck, Ash. You're freezing!" Bailey said, her hand covering mine as they rested on her toned stomach. Her hands were soft and warm, just like they were on Monday when I held them.

"Yeah, not a fan of the cold weather..." I said, my teeth chattering.

Without another word Bailey ripped off her jacket and handed it back to me, letting me put it on. It smelt like her and I breathed in the scent heavily. I couldn't get enough of this girl and I had no idea why.

"Won't you be cold?" I asked her.

"Nah, I'm fine. Now hold on tight," she said, before kicking the motorbike into gear and speeding off. We pulled into the school parking lot and were met with stares. People from our grade were pointing and whispering and I had no idea why.

"What are they looking at?" I asked Bailey as we both climbed off the bike.

"They probably think we're together or something," Bailey said casually. Bailey and me? Together? No, why would they think that?

"What? Why? I'm not gay!" I asked her, although the thought of Bailey and I dating didn't bother me. She was beautiful, caring, and really fucking sexy.

"I don't know," she said, her voice sounding strained. "Keep my jacket, I'll get it off you after school..." With that, she walked off, not even letting me thank her for the ride. What was that all about?