Chapter 26

PICTURED: Asha's formal dress

༻✧༺

The girls and I all sat in different chairs around the room, some of us getting our hair done, some makeup, and some waiting for both. There were nine girls and only four makeup & hair artists, so we all took turns.

"Pre-formal cocktails!" Heidi sang from the doorway, bringing in a tray with several delicious looking cocktails.

"Sex on the beach, my favourite!" Casey chimes in, jumping up from her spot and grabbing a glass from the tray.

I sat in my chair getting my makeup done, extending my hand out and wriggling my fingers, begging for Heidi to hand me a glass of the alcoholic beverage.

"Ahh, thank you!" I sighed when she placed the drink in my hand. I placed the straw between my lips and sipped the cold liquid. The alcohol calmed my jittery nerves. Why was I nervous? No idea.

"Your hair looks so good, Asha!" Chelsea said excitedly.

"Is it finished?" I asked her.

"Almost, just a few more bobby pins and then you're done!" the hair stylist told me.

I felt her digging more and more pins into my head and I tried my best not to grimace at the pain.

"Done!" she said happily, and I swung around in my chair to look in the mirror. It looked better than I had imagined it to me and a huge smile crept onto my face.

"Wow..." I whispered, angling my head to see as much of my hair as I could.

She held up a mirror behind me so I could examine the back of my hair. It looked perfect, exactly what I had wanted.

"I love it. It's perfect! Thank you so much!" I exclaimed, hugging the woman tightly.

"You're so welcome, I loved working with your hair!" she complimented me, hugging me back.

After waiting for an hour and downing a few more cocktails, it was finally my turn to get my makeup done. I sat in front of Heidi's cousin as she examined my face.

"You have the perfect face for a makeup look I learnt in college!" she said, more to herself than to me.

"You can do whatever you want, I don't know what I want for makeup. My dress is burgundy and I'm wearing nude heels so as long as it doesn't clash I'm happy," I told her, and she smiled excitedly.

"Yes, I love being given free reign to do what I want!" she gushed, clapping her hands excitedly before diving into her makeup case and pulling out products.

Half the things she put on my face I had no idea even existed, and after fifteen minutes she was finally applying foundation.

"This is the perfect colour for you!" Sammy said, dabbing the product lightly onto my skin.

Once she was finished with my foundation and concealer, she moved into powdering, contouring and highlighting.

"Do you want a sharp contour?" she asked me curiously.

"Is that even a question?" I laughed, and she laughed with me.

She showed me her work once she had finished and my cheekbones were sculpted beautifully. The highlight was bouncing off my cheek in the light and I'd be surprised if you couldn't see it from space, it was that intense.

"I love it!" I gasped, and she smiled.

"Perfect! So far so good," she said, "Now close your eyes."