Chapter 24

FEATURED: Asha's recital song
('Lies' cover by Kate McGill)

BAILEYS POV

༻✧༺

When Asha's name was called I sank down into my chair, hoping she wouldn't notice me. I wasn't planning on coming to the recital, but I had to see her. I'd seen her in school, but she had always known I was there. She avoided me. But I wanted to watch her without her knowing, to see her beauty, her vulnerability, to see the real her.

She walked across the stage, smiling nervously at her friends in the front row. I shuffled down further into my seat, but it was too late. Her eyes connected with mine, and I swear...in that moment, I could feel both of our hearts stop beating. Her smile faltered, and her walking slowed. It felt like we were staring into each other's eyes for hours, but in reality it couldn't have been more than two seconds. She shook her head slightly, turning back to walk across the stage to the piano. I didn't even know she played until Dylan had told me. And it was then that I felt like I barely knew her at all.

She sat down at the piano, and even from the middle of the room I could see her hands shaking. I wanted to reach out and grab them, hold them, kiss them. I wanted to wrap her in my arms and hold her tightly. I wanted to take all of her pain away. She hated me, and I knew that. But why? I know I'd walked from her, but she deserved more than me. Surely she knew that...so why was she so hurt?

Her voice brought me back to reality as she stuttered nervously into the microphone.

"Hi, I'm Asha. I'm...going to be performing an original song that I wrote." she said nervously, and I could've sworn for a moment her eyes met mine. "It's called 'Lies'."

And then she began.

Ha ha
Ha ha
You're never gonna love me, so what's the use?
What's the point in playing a game you're gonna lose?
What's the point in saying you love me like a friend?
What's the point in saying it's never gonna end?

You're too proud to say that you've made a mistake
You're a coward 'til the end
I don't wanna admit, but we're not gonna fit
No, I'm not the type that you like
Why don't we just pretend?

Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh
I can't let you go, can't let you go oh
I just want it to be perfect
To believe it's all been worth the fight
Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh

You only ever touch me
In the dark
Only if we're drinking can you see my spark
And only in the evening could you give yourself to me
'Cause the night is your woman, and she'll set you free

You're too proud to say that you've made a mistake
You're a coward 'til the end
I don't wanna admit, but we're not gonna fit
No, I'm not the type that you like
Why don't we just pretend?

Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh
I can't let you go, can't let you go oh
I just want it to be perfect
To believe it's all been worth the fight
Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh

Ooh
Ha, hoo, ha ha

Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh
I can't let you go, can't let you go oh
I just want it to be perfect
To believe it's all been worth the fight
Lies, don't wanna know, don't wanna know oh

I could see the tears falling down her cheeks, the emotion seeping from her fingers and pouring itself into the keys that she stroked so gently, yet the sound they made was so strong. She swayed in time with the tempo of the song, her voice sweet and beautiful, yet so powerful at the same time. I didn't realise I was crying until I felt a tear fall onto my hand. I hadn't cried since I was thirteen and my parents got divorced, why was I crying now?

She had completely captivated me, and I knew I had been lying to myself for a long time. She was my weakness, my ultimate sin. She had come crashing into my life when I least expected it and pounded on the door to my heart. What she didn't know though, was that she already had the key. But she didn't need it. I let her in willingly, and I didn't realise any of these things until right now, as she poured her heart out into the song.

The song spoke to me in words I had never heard of, languages I had never learnt. It filled my mind, my soul and my heart, and as soon as the song was over I realised that I had been holding my breath almost the entire time. I let out a shaky breath, wiping my tears with the back of my hand.

She wrote that song, and she wrote it about me. Had I hurt her that badly? The hall erupted in cheers, not one person remaining in their seat. I used the commotion as a distraction to slide from my chair and make my way out of the hall. I couldn't be here, I couldn't do this. The realisation of everything had hit me like a truck and I couldn't breathe. I needed to get out of here.

I ran to the door of the hall and pushed it open, breathing in the fresh air of the night. I gasped and leant over, leaning my hands on my knees. The tears fell and hit the dark pavement and I couldn't stop them. What had I done? I'd hurt the only person who I cared about. The only person who I truly wanted in my life. And now it was too late. She was out of my grasp, fading further and further away. I'd lost my chance because I was too damn scared to admit my true feelings.

I didn't notice the side door of the hall opening and closing, and didn't realise someone was nearby until I heard their footsteps halt.

"Bailey," the voice whispered, sniffing softly.

I snapped my head up, seeing Asha standing there, tears still running down her cheeks. Her bright blue eyes were blood shot and her nose slightly red from crying, but she looked perfect. She always looked perfect.

"Asha, I - ," I began, straightening up to face her, but she stopped me.

"Why are you here?" she interrupted me, her voice harsh and cold, slicing through me life a knife. I flinched at the tone of her voice and opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn't form a single word.

"Actually, save it. I don't want to know," she said, before I had the chance to say anything. She sounded so defeated, and it was entirely my fault. She turned on her heel and walked away, her bright red jumpsuit soon being swallowed by the darkness of the night.

I let a sob escape my mouth and let my head fall down once more. My hands rested against my knees as I continued to gasp for air, my heart shattering more with every beat. Before I had the chance to leave, two hands firmly grasped my shoulders, pulling me into a standing position. I looked into the persons eyes and they shook my shoulders slightly.

"Don't you see how much she loves you?" the person said.

"Dylan...but - ," I began.

"No buts, Bailey. That was hard to watch...even for me. She is broken. You fucked up Bailey," he said.

"You think I don't already know that?" I snapped at him, but he didn't flinch. He didn't step back. Instead, he stepped forward, inching closer to me...almost threateningly.

"Then what the fuck are you going to do about it?"