Chapter 17

PICTURED: Asha's work outfit

༻✧༺

"And remember class, your assignment is due in less than a month so if you haven't finished I suggest you get a move on!" Mrs Hanley called as we filed out of our modern history classroom towards the lunch area.

"I've got detention now so I won't see you until after school, meet me by my bike?" Bailey said.

"Detention? What did you do?" I asked her.

"Punched Luke," she said simply.

"Again?!" I asked incredulously, looking down at her hand wrapped in a cast for the second time.

"No, not again. He blabbed to the teachers about what happened the other day so now I'm in trouble," she huffed.

"But...do they know the full story?" I asked her.

"Nope, doubt Luke would've told them that. I will today though, if you're okay with that?" she said, putting her uninjured hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah...I guess so," I said, and she gave me a small smile before walking off toward her next class. I looked at my schedule to see what my next class was and realised the date - July 6th.

"Wait, Bailey!" I called after her, and she turned around.

"I have work this afternoon so you don't need to drive me home, I'm going to get the train," I told her.

"Do you want me to take you to work?" She asked me.

"No don't be silly, it's too far. I'm really fine to get the train," I assured her, "Now go get to detention before she gives you another one!"

She hurried off and I went to lunch, sitting down with Lauren and Casey.

"Where are the others?" I asked.

"They all got held up in Chemistry doing some sort of exam..." Lauren told me.

Once the others finally joined us for lunch, we began discussing practically the only thing on everyone's minds lately; the Spring Formal.

"My cousin is a makeup artist and I've already asked her and her three coworkers to come to my house and do all of our makeup!" Heidi said.

"Are you serious Heidi, that's amazing! Thank you so much!" Amanda gushed.

"It's nothing, we all have to look amazing and my cousin is the best of the best," she said casually.

"I need to worry about my audition for the Larchdale charity event before I start worrying about my makeup for formal," I said nervously.

"Do you know what song you're going to audition with?" Lauren asked.

"I think I'm going to audition with 'The Call'. The Regina Spektor song," I told them.

"That's such a beautiful song, I haven't heard you sing but I'm sure you'll do it justice!" Mollie told me.

"Well, if I make it past the auditions you'll see me perform at the school recital," I told her with a nervous smile.

School finally ended and I made my way to the station to catch the train to Cardin Valley mall. I was excited but nervous for my first shift, and I hoped the clothes that I had chosen were suitable for work. I had brought a black and white vertical stripes co-ord. It was classy and cute, and mum told me it would be fine. I hoped she was right.

Once I arrived at the mall I went to a restroom and changed into my work clothes. I arrived ten minutes before my shift began and was greeted by the salesgirl at the register.