Chapter 25

Before she broke my heart, it felt like my modern history classes were few and far between. Now that I was trying to avoid Bailey at all costs, it seemed that the classes were much more frequent. It felt like the universe was against me, and I felt myself spiralling downwards and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

We were sitting in silence, both of us not daring to look at each other. You could've cut the tension between us with a knife. I'll just grab the one out of my back then, shall I?

The clock was ticking slowly, the hour hand two minutes away from the twelve. I begged for it to hurry, not being able to stand the heartache. One minute left.

"Asha..." Bailey whispered, and I ignored her. Since my performance at the recital there had been a shift in Bailey, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think it was her eyes. More than sad. They were broken, just like mine. I wanted to hug her and tell her everything was going to be okay, but remembering what she had done to me stopped me in my tracks. She broke me. She broke me. So why is she acting like this.

The bell finally rang, and I leapt from my chair and ran out of the classroom.

"Asha, wait!" Bailey called. It was the most I had heard her talk for a week. My brain told me to keep walking, but my broken heart failed me. I turned around.

"What?" I asked. I wanted to sound angry, but I just sounded...exactly what I was. Broken.

I don't think she expected me to answer her, and stuttered awkwardly before speaking.

"I - I just - Well..." she began, and I almost felt sorry for her. Almost.

She gave up on trying to speak, and instead took a few steps closer. I wanted to run but I stayed frozen in place, unable to keep my eyes off hers. She reached down, her hand grazing mine lightly, but before she could take hold of it I snatched it away.

"I can't do this, Bailey..." I said, turning around and walking away. I fought the urge to turn and look at her because I knew that if I did, I'd crumble.

The Spring Formal was three days away, and I busied myself with Amanda to take my mind off the fact that my heart was hurting. I felt so lost and alone, just going through the motions of life but not actually living it. Each day was a blur, my grades were suffering but I just couldn't bring myself to care.

'We finally have all the flowers!" Amanda sighed in relief, sitting down with us at recess.

"I honestly can't wait for the formal, Amanda! It's going to be incredible!" Mollie gushed and Amanda smiled in appreciation.

"Do you need help setting up the auditorium the night before?" Lauren asked, but Amanda just shook her head.

"No, I want it to be a surprise for everyone. Just the committee and the teachers are setting up," Amanda said kindly. She was so excited and I would've been happy for her if I had the ability to be.

"Will there be security?" Casey asked, and I knew she had an ulterior motive. "I care about the safety of my fellow peers."

"Yes, there will be security. And yes, they will be checking your bags. So no, you won't be able to sneak in any alcohol," Amanda said dryly, and Casey cursed under her breath.

"Are you going with Dylan, Amanda? Because I was thinking we could get a limo from my house to the school after we get our makeup done!" Heidi said.

"No, he is going with his mates and I want to go with you girls, so that sounds great!" Amanda said, and the girls all began chatting excitedly. I joined in, albeit half heartedly.