Chapter Five

My writing sessions yesterday with Morgan and Runaway June went good. Minus the occasional arguing between Morgan and I. Today, I had a session with Maddie and Tae and Old Dominion. I was pretty excited. I had only been in Nashville for like four days, but I really liked it here. I liked the people and the people at the studio, even if Morgan was there.

My session with the girls was at 2:00. I got there at 1:30. I went to get a coffee out of the lounge area. I wasn't paying g any attention and as I walked in the door, I physically ran into someone and dropped what I was carrying.

"Oh, my god. I'm sorry, ma'am". A tall boy with slicked up hair said to me as he helped pick up my stuff.

"No, it's my fault" I say takin my journal from his hands. He smiled at me as I made eye contact with him.

"I'm Matthew" He says.

"Callan. Callan Grey" I say. He extending his hand to me. I took it in mine.

"Are you the new songwriter?" He asks.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I just started" I say.

"Well, it looks like your writing with me today" He says. I give him a confused look. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm the lead singer of Old Dominion".

"Oh! Okay, yeah. I'll be writing with you today" I say. He smiled again.

"Well, Callan. I will see you soon" He says.

"Yeah, see ya" I say. He disappears down the hall. He was super nice and, I'm not going to lie, super cute. I hadn't stopped smiling since he walked away. Maddie and Tae definitely noticed when I walked into the writers room with them.

"Now, if that smile is because of Morgan..." Tae says.

"Uh, no. It's not" I say sitting down with them.

"What are you so happy for?" Maddie asks.

"You guys didn't tell me that the lead singer in Old Dominion was so cute" I say. They both start smiling too.

"Oh, does Cal have a crush?" Tae says. I just smile.

"Well, he is single" Maddie says.

"Yeah, true. Go for it if you want too" Tae adds.

"I-I don't know. What would people think? Like...What would Morgan think?" I say. Maddie gives me an annoyed look.

"Why do you care what Morgan thinks? All you two did yesterday was argue. You were loud enough that we heard you next door. Plus, you guys broke up five years ago, and he's dating Hannah now, so....go for it" She says.

"Yeah, I know, but-".

"But nothing. Seriously, Cal. Go for it. Matt is nice and he's the type of boy you can take home to mama" Maddie says. I look to the ground.

"My mama died when I was eighteen" I say looking back up. Both girls looked so upset.

"Callan, we didn't know" Tae says.

"It's okay. Don't apologize" I say.

"Well, let me rephrase that...Matt is the type you can bring to me and Tae. We're claiming you as ours now" Maddie says. I smiled.

"And, I'm sure the Runaway June girls do too. They'll think it's awesome if you date Matt" Tae adds in.

"Maybe I should. Maybe if I do, Morgan will leave me alone" I say.

"See, that's a plus, but don't use him" Maddie says. I shake my head.

"No. I wouldn't" I say. They both smile. "You know, he's the first guy I've thought was cute since Morgan". They smile at each other. "God, Morgan was the cutest thing back when I met him. Shaggy, brown hair, the most beautiful blue eyes. I thought he was plumb stupid when he asked me to be his girlfriend".