⤛TWENTY-THREE⤜

The girls and I were walking back, I couldn't help but think about my New Orleans trip. I haven't spoken to Rafael in days, considering I felt awkward about it, I needed time to think. I snapped out of it when we got closer to the school, seeing Landon walking towards us.

"In a situation like this, which one of us is supposed to apologise?"

"When it comes to jealousy? Always the guy." I said, and he gives me a weird look, "I feel emotions, remember." He clicks his tongue before looking at Hope, who stands a few metres away from me.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"I'm so sorry, I was totally insensitive and I just-," Landon starts before getting distracted, "Where did this statue come from?"

"His attention span is literally like a goldfish." I said, frowning a little and Lizzie snorts beside me before shaking her head.

"Uh, I-I don't know somebody probably moved it up here when they were cleaning? Looks like one of the statues from the basement." Hope says, frowning a little looking at it and wondering why her boyfriend was distracted.

"Call me crazy, but doesn't this look like MG's mum?"

"I think it is MG's mum." Hope says, getting a better look at it. We had immediately called Alaric and MG to where we were, Alaric was just confused considering no one in the school could do this.

"Who would do this to my mum?"

"Well, not who would, who could?" Hope says, looking at the stone statue.

"It could be a bad spell translation, or potion mishap?"

"Or it could be another monster." I said, and everyone looks at me making me purse my lips, "I'm laying out options, okay."

"There's no reason a monster would be here." Alaric says, answering my question.

"Unless this sentient jar of artisanal mayonnaise activated a new artefact." Lizzie says, before looking at Landon, "What did you touch?"

"Everything." Landon replies bitterly, "We cleaned the school from top to bottom, remember? But if we're just going to throw out wild theories, here's one: What if the person who showed up today out of no-where acting buddy-buddy manipulating romantic feelings to get someone's guard down?"

"Ohmygod." I mumbled to myself as facepalmed myself for hearing Landon's jealousy.

"Do you seriously suspect Roman?"

"Yeah, we all should. The timing is too convenient."

"I thought you were sorry for acting jealous." Hope says, scoffing at the curly boy.

"I was sorry but now I'm vindicated." Landon says, the jealousy in his tone was rich.

"Alright." Alaric cut them off, "Lizzie, Hope, Charmeine, you keep an eye on the contestants. MG, we're going to search the campus. Landon-,"

"I'm going to ask Roman some questions." He says, taking off immediately.

"Super helpful!" Hope shouted out sarcastically, "Ask a vampire how he turned a woman to stone!"

"Okay, let's go."

===

I had managed to miss half of the ceremony, due to helping Alaric try to pinpoint what was going on. I made my way to where it was being held, and I walked in immediately spotting Hope who was dancing with Roman.

I didn't even care about that right now, all that mattered was that my best friend was out there and she looked amazing. I couldn't help the smile that came onto my face, I looked and I spotted Lizzie standing there making me walk over to her, and she spots me.

"Where the hell have you been?"

"I was helping your father with the current issues we have at hand." I said, and she nods before we looked back out, "She's beautiful, good job."

"Oh, I'm good at my work." She says, making me chuckle lightly.

"Sure." I said, and she smiles before looking at me.

"I don't think I said sorry."

"Sorry for what? I really can't keep up with you these days." I said, jokingly to her and thankfully she got it.

"For sleeping with Rafael." Lizzie says and I cleared my throat, "I was just jealous of you."

"Lizzie Saltzman, jealous of me?" I said, chuckling to myself as I looked at her.

"Of course, who wouldn't?" She says, frowning a little making me scoff lightly.

"I-I don't get it, why were you jealous of me?"

"You came to school, everyone was talking about you and everyone wanted you. I liked Rafael, but then I saw he liked you and I-I don't know, I was just jealous that you had everyone's attention. You had so much confidence, and this bad girl vibe to you. I just, I wanted to get back at you." Lizzie says and I chuckled lightly.

"Wow, I can proudly say that I have been involved in teenage drama." I said, making her laugh before smiling, "And it's fine. I got over it."

"You two really make a good couple." She says and she looks at me, "Friends?"

"Friends." I said, smirking and she does the same. I looked back out to the dance floor, seeing Hope dance making me smile. I excused myself to grab something to drink and just as I made it back, I see Josie speaking to Lizzie. I got closer seeing they were in a heated argument.

"Did you even consider how Hope would feel wearing it?" Josie says, looking back out at Hope who was now staring at the girls with concern.

"She looks fantastic. She should feel amazing." Lizzie says, frowning at her twin.

"Will she still feel amazing when she learns where it came from?"

"What do you mean where it came from?" Lizzie says, rolling her eyes, "It was a gift from some guy who used to crush on mum."

"From Klaus Mikaelson, Lizzie. Hope's dad." Josie says, scoffing before walking out and I frowned looking over.

Just like that they had announced who the winner was and coincidently it was Hope. The spotlight was on her and I see that Hope was beginning to cry. I then noticed things in the room started to rattle, and I see her struggling as people were staring at her. I pushed my way through the crowd, coming up to her.

"It's okay, I've got you. I've got you." I said, hugging her and she puts her arms around me. I felt her panic come down as she starts to cry into my shoulder.

Later on that night, I was walking the grounds before coming to the pier and sitting down. I looked out to the lake before looking up at the sky, seeing the stars shining brightly and I sighed.

"Hey, mind if I join?" I hear and I look to see Hope making me smile.

"Come on." I said, and she sits next to me, "You okay?"

"I will be. You?" She asked and I nodded warily.

"I will be." I said, copying her and she chuckles making me smile.

"Thank you for earlier, I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'd probably die. I don't know how long you lasted without me." I said, and she laughs loudly pushing my shoulder lightly. I gulped before sighing, "I lost a baby."

"What?" Hope says looking at me and I looked back at her.

"I got my memories back, I found out I lost a baby. That year I lost my memories to Malivore or what was actually my people, I remember."

"I'm so sorry. Do you know who the father was?" Hope says and I was about to tell her but I decided against it.

"Doesn't matter now."

"I'm here for you." She says and I smiled, putting an arm over her shoulders as she leans on my shoulder.