part fourteen

'At least wear a red flannel over it.'

'What's wrong with a black sweater?'

'The black.'

'And why's that?', Luke sassily asked with his arms crossed.

'Watch your mouth Luke', Ashton warned the angry teenager.

'Neither do I see a reason for that.'

'Stop it Luke. It makes you look so pale and sad', Ashton said with a sigh.

'Well I am', Luke yelled with tears welling up in his eyes.

'Lukey, I really don't want to argue with you.'

'Then don't', Luke snapped one more time, while wiping away his tears and taking his also black bag.

Ashton stayed quiet for a few seconds. Luke's steps and his sniffles where the only thing that broke the silence.

'Bye', Luke yelled and made Ashton snap out of his daze. He ran after him and stopped him by grabbing his wrist to turn him around.

'You haven't even eaten', Ashton pointed out, but Luke shook his head.

'I'll eat at school', he replied just like every morning, but Ashton knew that Luke didn't. He felt like Luke didn't care about his well-being in the morning. But when he came home, Ashton was able to make him eat, go outside, play and take baths.

Ashton let go of Luke and watched him leave.
Even Kira had watched the scene confused. The poor puppy had no idea what was going on.

'It's alright Kira, let's go for a walk. How does that sound?'
Kira wiggled her tail in excitement and followed Ashton as he got his shoes and her leash.

'My sweet little baby dog', Ashton cooed and petted her head before leaving the house.

He decided to walk into the direction of the busstop Luke should be waiting at. Of course just to make sure that Luke was actually still going to school.

Ashton stopped a little further away, but close enough to see Luke with one of his questionable friends.

He couldn't hear what they were talking about, but he could see damn well that this kid passed Luke cigarettes.

'Are you out of your mind?', Ashton mumbled under his breath.
Ashton did smell the smoke on Luke, but always hoped that it was because his friends smoked and he stood next to them. Well, turned out Mr. Innocent smoked himself.

Ashton was extremely disappointed, then decided to remain unseen for now though. He would confront him when he came back.