part twenty-two

A knock on the front door was heard and Kira started to bark.

'Shh Kira, it's fine.', he said and smiled at the retriever, petting her head before leaving to open the door. Kira watched his every move and followed him to the front door.
As soon as Ashton had opened the door, he wanted to close it again.

'Hi', she said in a sickening sweet voice and Ashton gave her a tight smile.

'Hi', he answered and silently cursed himself for giving everyone out of his old friendgroup his new address.

'Won't you let me in?', she asked and twirled her hair with her fingers.

'I uhm.. I'm not alone', he said.

'Thought you lived alone?'

'No, not anymore', he answered and held Kira back with his foot.

'What do you want anyway?'

'Hey! I just want to catch up with an old friend of mine. Isn't that allowed?'

'We're not anything even close to friends Marie', Ashton said and wanted to close the door, preferably against her face, hard and about ten times.

'Sure we are Ashy. We had such a good time', she said and used my shared attention to slip past me into the house.
Ashton sighed and closed the door so Kira couldn't run away, because not even she wanted to greet Marie anymore.

'Since when do you have a dog?', she asked and looked around the house.

'Since two years', he replied and walked after her. Why couldn't he just kick her out? Ashton was way too nice for this world.

'You've always been an animal lover', she said as if she'd know Ashton and it made him want to throw up.

'Yeah. Like I said, I don't live alone and I'm not alone right now either so it would be great if you wouldn't just walk around like you live here. Especially since he has no idea that you're even here or who you are in the first place', Ashton mumbled and grabbed her wrist when she wanted to enter Luke's room.

'Oh, so you are single?', she said and gave him a weird look.

'I uhm..', Ashton stuttered but couldn't finish because she decided to throw herself on him. The second her lips touched his, he pushed her away.

'What the fuck? Don't ever do that again', he yelled and wiped his lips.

'Is someone in there?', she asked completely unfazed by his reaction and Ashton covered his mouth in realization.

'Fuck, I woke him up', he said and opened the door to Luke's room.

'It's fine, shh I'm sorry.'
Ashton slowly made his way to Luke's bed and ignored Marie's stares.
Luke immediately stopped moving, when he saw the stranger standing in the door.

'Who's that?', he whispered and Ashton faked a smile as he caressed Luke's cheek.

'I'll explain it later darling. Go back to sleep, yeah? You're still sick', Ashton said and helped Luke get comfortable in bed, before kissing his forehead and pulling the blanket up a little more.
Luke hummed and closed his eyes.
Ashton left on tiptoes and closed the door behind him.

'You have siblings?'
He shook his head and walked towards the front door again. Marie followed him, but probably didn't even think of leaving yet.

'You're a dad?', she asked with wide eyes and he chuckled. Even though this would be one way to get rid of her, Ashton decided not to lie.

'No', he simply answered, hoping she would drop it, but of course she didn't.

'Then who is that kid?', she asked with a slightly annoyed tone but Ashton honestly couldn't care less.

'The neighbours kid.'

'You're babysitting?'

'Amongst other things.'
She gave him a weird look once again, but Ashton couldn't handle her presence anymore.

'If you could leave now?'

'But why Ashy? We could have some fun like the old times, catch up and stuff', she said and he couldn't keep it to himself anymore. He was more than fed up with her and enough was enough.

'Marie just get it. I've been gay my entire life and I am honestly getting tired of you hitting on me since eighth grade.'

'Are you serious? You prefer guys?'

'I don't prefer them. I only like guys and that's how it's always been', Ashton said and watched her face turn from flirtatious to confused to annoyed.

'Your loss', she said and fortunately finally left. He closed the door behind her and left out a sigh of relief. Ashton had thought he would never see that girl again, but oh well.

Being happy with the outcome of the conversation, he grabbed Kira's leash and left a note for Luke on the kitchen table.

I'm on a walk with Kira.
I'll be back in twenty.
Love you xx

Kira followed him excitedly and waited for him to put her collar on and finally connect it to the leash.

'So excited, huh?', he cooed and left the house with her. Ashton decided to take the path through the woods, which was one of Luke's favourites and quickly reached the first few trees.

Ashton took the leash off of Kira's collar and wrapped it around his upper body.
The fresh air in his lungs and the silence was refreshing.
He wouldn't have it any other way.