Going Home (Chapter 15, Part 4)

"Are you 100% sure you've tried everything?" Morty questioned as he watched his grandpa rummage through his cabinet of different miscellaneous stuff.  

Rick gave up from finding what he was looking for and closed the cabinet, "I've tried everything at least 10 times, but I'm not giving up." He brushed dust off of his lab coat.

"Is she listening to us?" Summer asked while looking around the underground lab.

"Yes. Well, she should be able to. She has access to the entire lab, the cameras, speakers, holograms, everything." Rick spoke, "I just... can't figure out what's holding her back."

"Hey Y/N! This is your boyfriends grandchild!" Summer raised her voice, trying to talk to you, "It would be really great if you could, like, enter the body he made for you. It's creeping me out a little bit, just floating there, being all soulless and stuff."

"Yeah! C'mon you stupid bitch!" Morty yelled, "Get- get your ass in the body!"

Summer turned to her brother, "Morty, what are you doing?"

"Maybe we need to make her angry or something, y'know?" Morty tried explaining himself, "Make her so mad, she enters the body to beat us up."

"Huh." Rick wondered, "I never thought about that."

-

Wouldn't you know it. The familiar group of voices was back. They all started yelling suddenly. You wondered why. 

You even managed to understand a few words. Mostly insults and swear words. 

Then, you felt as if you were flying upwards. You couldn't really tell because everything was pitch black, but something did feel different. A screen of some kind turned to you and you saw three figures. Two teenagers yelling at some 'Y/N' and an older man doing the same. 

You knew those people. You knew them, you were sure of it! Their names were still a mystery to you, as well as who they were to you. Where do you know them from?

You needed to know more.

-

Summer and Morty stopped yelling after a while, both running out of breath. Rick looked around the room to see if you interacted with any lights or screens. Then he noticed a series of numbers on one of the monitors,'01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111' . 

"It's working! Something's happening." Rick was filled with joy, "She's listening."

"What does it say?" Summer asked.

"It says 'Hello'. Can't you read?" Rick replied, "Now I can, hopefully, just tell her to enter the body."

-

Fascinating. They seemed to have reacted the the little message you sent them. The old man was typing one back to you.

01000101 01101110 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100010 01101111 01100100 01111001

What body? 

Oh, the one in the glass chamber? 

-

"Did- did she get it?" Morty spoke after a minute of silence.

Rick stared at the computer screen, "I have no idea." 

They waited for something to happen, but nothing. It had been three hours since Rick sent you the message, nothing. They all sat on the floor. The kids told Rick everything that had happened while he was away, then Rick proceeded to tell them a few stories from his time in the simulation to kill as much time as they could. All the fond memories now made Rick full of sorrow because you were still not there with him. 

 "I hate to be the person to say this..." Summer spoke quietly after a long while of waiting in silence, "but I don't think she can make it over. Maybe the disk was too damaged after all... she- maybe she doesn't remember how to control the code anymore..."

"Fuck." Rick whipped away a tear that rolled down his cheek.

"I'm sorry, Rick." Morty whispered.

-

You watched through the cameras at what was happening. The two teenagers left and the old man stayed. He stepped in front of the glass chamber and looked at the body inside of it. 

He looked sad. Why was that?

The man spoke, "I know you said none of this was my fault, but... I can't stop thinking how I fucked everything up. If I weren't stupid and didn't give those assholes the disk... it wouldn't have corrupted and you would be fine. I'm sorry, Babe... I'm sorry I did this to you. I hope you can forgive me."

The sadness in his voice broke your heart. 

"I just want to say... I love you. I love you so goddamn much. You changed me for the better, you really did. I was just so lost and so alone until you found me. Nobody will be able to replace you, just so you know, there's no one like you. Thank you for saving me... thank you for tolerating my bullshit and accepting me... thank you for loving me, even though I didn't deserve it. I love you, Y/N."

He leaned his head on the glass and closed his eyes. A few moments later he stepped away from it and went to turn off the lights and leave. 

You didn't want him to leave. You loved him, you knew you did. Don't lose him.

-

Rick was about to hit the power switch, which would have shut down everything in that room, including you. A noise stopped him at the last second. He turned back and saw that the glass had lifted and the liquid spilled everywhere.

"Holy shit!" Rick was by your side in a heartbeat. He held you in his lap and wrapped you in his white lab coat, "Babe...? Y/N?" He shook you lightly, "Wake up."

You opened your eyes and coughed out a little amount of the liquid out of your lungs, "Hey, you." You whispered while looking into his eyes, they were full of hope. He supported your back with one of his hands and cupped your face with the other. You were attracted to this man, you knew you were connected in some way.

"D- do you know who I am?" He questioned.

You smiled, "Of course I do, Rick. How can I ever forget you?"

A huge weight had lifted from his chest and in a wave of happiness, he closed the gap between his lips and yours, holding you in a long, passionate kiss. His hands held you in a hug close to his chest. The kiss was broken only because you really needed to take a breath. You smiled and rested your forehead against his.

"Aww!" Summer cried out and got the attention of you and Rick, "That's so cute!"

You smiled at the two teenagers, "Hi Morty! Hi Summer!"

"H-hello Y/N, we heard a lot of good stuff about you." Morty spoke.

"You'll talk in a bit." Rick interrupted, "I still have to make sure she's completely herself. There was 2% of corrupted data and I need to find out what's missing."

"Something's missing?" You questioned as you looked at him.

Rick brushed a few strands of hair out of your face, "Yes, I just wanted to make sure it's not something important."

"Yeah, okay. You go make sure she's completely herself." Summer winked and left the room.

Morty cringed and follower her, "Summer! Gross."

You giggled as you watched the kids leave, then turned your attention back to your boyfriend, "I love you, Honey."

"I love you too, so much." He kissed your lips once more, "You have no idea how terrified I was of losing you." He whispered.

"It's okay now." You spoke softly while gently running your fingers through his hair, "I'm here with you."