Irene

March 21, 20XXSaturday

March 21, 20XX
Saturday

Do you know what it's like to walk-in day after day and have your first love stare at you like a complete stranger?

To repeat who you are over and over only to see how reluctant they are to believe that?

I don't dare reach for his hand.

I don't even attempt to persuade him about our relationship.

Because if what we had was love,

How could he forget me so easily?

If what we had was forever,

How could he leave me all alone?

I'm scared.

I'm scared to think about what's happening too deeply.

What if I touch his hand and it's cold?

What if there's no longer a spark?

The disconnect between us would launch me in a panic attack.

He's no longer here.

My other half is no longer next to me.

The only thing keeping me going is the little bit of hope that maybe one day I'll walk into the same room as him and with one look, he'll smile widely my way and say,

"Jennie."

Startled, I lift my head up, looking at Taehyung's mother.

She's concerned for me and I soon realize that tears are rolling down my cheeks. I quickly wipe them away, Taehyung beside me just noticing.

"S-sorry."

He tenses up, I can tell by the way his hands' grip onto the hospital sheets that I've made him uncomfortable.

Jennie, stop. 

Can't you see that you're being a burden?

"Don't apologize, dear. Everything will be alright." She turns towards Taehyung and takes his hand. "Everything will be alright with time."

Taehyung turns my way again, briefly connecting eyes before looking down.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," He whispers as he slips off the bed, brushing past me to head straight into the comfort room.

Turning towards Taehyung's mom, I chuckle with embarrassment,

"I'm sorry for crying... It must be worse for you." 

Taehyung's mom averts her eyes from me, debating something in her head. "It's strange actually..."

My eyebrows raise.

"Taehyung seems to remember we're his parents. He remembers our visits day after day, actually."

What?

"We were frightened after hearing that he hadn't remembered your visit. There was a concern that his state was regressing. Except, the next day...he still remembered us."

My mouth opens, but nothing comes out.

Taehyung suddenly comes out of the bathroom, his mom leaning back against her chair to give him a smile as he makes his way back into bed.

I just sit there after what she revealed.

At this moment, I'm the only stranger to Taehyung.

Feeling my heart ache, I slowly rise out of my chair, feeling out of place.

"I'm...um, I'm going to check on Yejoon. I-I'll try to visit again tomorrow."

Though, you still won't remember me...

One last time, I connect my brown orbs with Taehyung's.

He once again averts his gaze.

My body just wants to give out and it takes me a second to compose myself.

"...I know you." 

It was hoarse, but I heard those three words slip out of Taehyung's mouth.

My eyes widen but as I look his way, I realize his gaze doesn't sync with mine. He's looking past me and only then do I realize that someone new had entered the room. 

Taehyung's mom brings a hand to her mouth, looking at Taehyung with new hope. "You remember her?"

My body is frozen and I can't seem to get my body to turn around.

"Yes," Taehyung responds.

Having a strong feeling of who's behind me, my eyes start to water and as the steps come closer, I'm left with no choice but to face my fear.

Slowly turning around, my blood runs cold as we connect eyes.

Quickly looking back at Taehyung, I watch as he looks at her with familiarity, a smile in place as he greets her,

"Irene."