Bridge

April 10, 20XXFriday

April 10, 20XX
Friday

I didn't tell anyone about the conference.

Okay, lies.

I told my mother.

What I didn't tell her was that Taehyung would be there.

The conference was an hour flight away and we were going to be gone for the weekend, so that meant Yejoon couldn't go.

"Mommy loves you, baby~" I coo over the phone, heading into the small airport.

It's just 3 days away from you.

Hanging up, I look at the ticket to compare the gate number in front of me. 

With a deep breath, I head into the lounge. 

There aren't a lot of people waiting, which explains why I easily find Taehyung in his light jacket and joggers, rummaging in his bag to pull out a tiny leather bound book. 

Where's Irene?

Fixing my backpack, I walk until I'm standing in front of him. When he looks up, I introduce myself,

"Hi, I'm Jennie. I'm your-"

"Social media specialist." Taehyung finishes, a small smile in his face. After seeing my shocked face, he looks down at his lap, playing with the book in his hand.

"...yeah," It came out a little quieter than I wanted, but he left me practically speechless. I thought Taehyung had a hard time retaining any memory of me?

I held back the desire to ask him any questions about it, not needing to get into that.

It's not going to change anything. The Taehyung I knew then isn't the same that I know now. 

As long as I keep telling myself that, I can continue to treat Taehyung this way.

"You introduce yourself every day." Taehyung smiles, "It's hard to forget you."

Yet, so easy.

Without another word, I take a seat across from him, plugging in my headphones and pretending that I'm doing something on my phone.

The truth is that I'm sneaking peeks at Taehyung, watching him flip through his book, his glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose as he concentrates hard.

I try tilting my head to catch the title, but I couldn't find it anywhere. 

Taehyung's eyes flicker up at me so suddenly that I'm left a deer in headlights.

"It's time to board." He smiles, standing as he shoves his book into his bag.

Time to board already? 

Standing, I lift my backpack up while I look around. "What about Irene?"

Taehyung comes next to me, towering significantly, making me cower.

"She's not coming." His hand goes up and I watch as he hesitates at first, but then finally fixes the strap of my backpack.

"T-thanks," I turn my shoulder away, letting my hair work as a curtain between the side of my face and Taehyung's eyes.

The whole time we walk in the boarding bridge, Taehyung and I keep our distance.

I look ahead at the couple in front of us and step aside to let an eager child get by from the family behind us.

If anyone saw us right now, what would they think was our story?

Because there's more than just the three feet between us....

there's miles between our hearts.