Job offer

March 25, 20XXWednesday

March 25, 20XX
Wednesday

"Ow!" Jungkook holds his nose, Yejoon having just chucked a toy his way.

Swiveling around from the kitchen, I widen my eyes at Yejoon who laughs. 

"Yejoonie!" I wag my finger at him who's playing on the floor with Jungkook.

Jungkook chuckles, rubbing his nose. "It's okay. Homie's got a good arm."

Rolling onto his back, he lets out a groan as he stretches his arms up enough to reveal his tummy.

"I appreciate you coming over to help with Yejoon." 

I check on the soup on the stove, deeming it ready to eat. Opening up the cabinets, I realize that we have run out of clean bowls. The only clean ones are some we barely use at the very top of the shelf.

I internally groan, cursing my short genes. I stretch up to the bowls, just in case there's a chance I'll reach them. All of a sudden, I feel Jungkook behind me, his hand at my waist as he easily gets the bowls at the top.

My eyes widen, slightly turning to look at Jungkook behind me. 

He throws me a huge grin. "Got 'em, shorty."

I look down at his hand still at my waist, Jungkooks line of vision going down there as well.

He quickly takes back his hand, placing it behind his neck. "Sorry...I guess it's a habit when I help out Yeri."

I feel my face flush, taking the bowls from his hand. "How is Yeri?"

Jungkook walks out back towards Yejoon, both hands now casually resting on his neck. "Uh..she's good. She's just really stressed with school and stuff....and you know with Taehyung's current state of being."

With the mention of Taehyung's name, the atmosphere quickly gets awkward.

I start to pour the soup into the bowls for Jungkook and me, chewing on my lip as I ask him, "O-oh...but Taehyung remembered her, didn't...he? So, it's not like she has anything to worry about ha."

Jungkook appears at the kitchen doorway, Yejoon in his arms. "Jennie..."

I hide behind my hair. "Nevermind."

I walk past him to put the bowls on to the table, my phone lighting up on the table.

Reaching for it, I give Jungkook a look, knowing that the unfamiliar number could only mean one thing.

"Answer it!" Jungkook smiles, bouncing Yejoon who giggles.

Quickly composing myself, I swipe the screen. "Hello?"

"Hi, this is Son Ga-in from Winter Bear. Am I speaking to Jennie Kim?"

My heart almost flies right out of my mouth. "Yes! Yes, this is Jennie."

"Great to reach you, Jennie. I'm calling to let you know that we would like to offer you the Social Media Specialist position."

I cover my mouth, widening my eyes at Jungkook. 

"Oh wow! I...I don't know what to say!"

Ga-In laughs on the other end. "Well, we would love for you to say 'yes'."

"Yes! One thousand times, Yes!" I laugh, fanning myself, almost at the brink of tears.

She tells me a couple of more details about the job, in the end, letting me know that I can start my training tomorrow.

Hanging up, Jungkook and I celebrate.

"Hell yeah! Congrats, Jennie." 

I take Yejoon in my arms, dancing with him. 

Yejoon squishing his cheek against mine. "Mama~"

Jungkook reaches into his pocket, his phone vibrating as the display shows a picture of who was calling.

He tries to quickly hide it, but it's too late. 

I saw.

The picture has already been ingrained into my mind. In it, Taehyung was smiling cheerfully with Jungkook. 

As if nothing was wrong.

Like he was happy with the way things were...

without me.

The whole time we ate, Jungkook tried hard to cheer me up, even Yejoon noticed a change in me.

I tried hard to give them my best smile, but it was hard.

No matter how bright my future looked,

it just couldn't surpass the darkness I felt of the past.