Chapter 21

Previously:

When I got back to the couch, I placed the blanket over (Y/N), then sat down and placed her head in my lap. I then opened the book again, and started reading.

Now...

(Random date..)
I wouldn't consider this a diary, but I can say that it will resemble one. So if I were to go missing, if someone found this, then you now have access to everything about me.

I'm not very social. I have problems. My mom said so. She told me, 'your broken, and the world will take advantage of it.' She always told me to look at life with a different angle, and gave me a bottle of  gold and pink glitter. She told me it would sparkle the path of happiness for me.

Sometimes, I wonder if she was right.

As I continue reading, I realize that it just gets more and more depressing. I frown and close the book. But before I close the book all the way, words on the last page catch my attention.

It's weird the way that the world spins. The way everyone breathes if we're all going to die. The way we step, the way we fall. The way we hate..

The way we love.

Doesn't anyone question life anymore? Or are people afraid that if we question too much, that we'll perish? That we're afraid of existing? Afraid of losing to this game of life and death? That realizing that every step we take could be the last?

Does Death still play his game? Or are we playing his?

"Mountains build in our minds from our efforts to climb them. It's our attempts to reach their summits that turn them into something real." (Bennett Foddy, Getting Over It.)

And, it's the challenges that keep us alive. If it wasn't for goals and challenges, our existence would come to an end.

And it gave me a new hope. A hope, for something better. Can people actually love? Are our emotions actually feelings, or are they just forced, like a machine?

Can I ever love?

I silently read the last sentance again and again. It was like I could feel what she felt. It had me thinking for a few.

I was inturupted from my thoughts when (Y/N) shifted her position and sat up. As soon as she sat up, I immediately knew something was wrong. Her eyes went full black, along with her hair.

She stood up, the blanket falling to the ground. She turned towards the stairs and started walking up to her room. After a couple of seconds, I followed her. She left the door to her room open, and when I entered, she wasn't there. I rushed to the window and looked out. I couldn't see anything, but when I looked up at the roof, I saw (Y/N) standing on the edge, reaching her arm outward as if she was reaching for something.

The entire time, she hadn't breathed. She just kept reaching out at nothing.

"(Y/N). (Y/N), are you okay?" I asked, reaching my hand out to her. She just kept looking out at the woods.

(Y/N)'s pov.

I woke up standing at the edge of my roof, arm extended out towards the woods as if I was reaching out for something. I felt a hand grab my shoulder and my name called, then it was like I was pulled from a trance.

I looked down and saw how high I was off the ground. I panicked as I saw a black hole forming on the floor, and took a step back. My foot slipped on some ice, but before I fell, Jack caught me. I freaked and screamed a little.

"Hey, it's okay! You're alright," Jack said, pulling me close and sitting down on the roof. I gripped his arms tight, practically digging my nails into his skin. He grabbed me tight, pulling me closer. "Hey... hey, i-it's alright," he said, petting my hair.

I stared shaking.

Both of the cold and fear.