Chapter 37

Previously:

"Jack, you and (Y/N) need to rest, Mate," Bunny said, taking me off from North. I tried to protest, but collapsed to the floor again, watching as the sand from Pitch's spear made shadows and darkness spread across my waist.

North took out a globe, told it a destination, then threw it. But before we took off, he looked back at me, then handed me a miniature Matryoshka doll.

I looked it over, and it was North, with big round eyes, and a Jolly Face.

Now...

(Y/N)'s pov.

I circle this place for days now. The same place I believe I used to know. The small yet quaint house I used to call home.

But it was nothing like that now. The boards were rotted and molded, the paint coming off like plaster, the shingles of the roof missing in some places, the windows no longer there, and vines ran their way up and down the sides if the house.

Every night, I would wake up to find myself here, either on top of the roof looking down, or on the ground looking up.

I was always acutely aware of what was near me. The broken fence that surrounded the house, the forest and trials that we're in the back if the house, and the dead leaves that always cluttered on the roof.

But each time I came, a figure followed.

And no matter how hard I tried to make out the figure, it was impossible to tell who it was.

But it always tried to protect me. When shadows danced across the rocks, or climbed the vines to reach me, or skidded across the ground, the figure was just standing there, ready to help.

Sometimes, it would hold me close, and it felt right. But it seemed like it would repeat too many times.

Like I was stuck in a loop.

But something would always break that loop. Another figure, dancing with other shadows. Somehow, I new this one was bad, so at most times, I hid in the rundown closet on the second story of the house. Sometimes, the better shadow couldn't get to me on time, so the bad shadow hit me first.

And then the waking up would start all over again.

*****

The shadows get more and more blurry and fuzzy, and a name keeps being called out to me. I can never tell where it's coming from, but I hope it's here to help...

*****

The shadows no longer roam, and the figures never show up. I'm lonely at this place. The house seems so run down that the feeling of home becomes more familiar.

My clothes are nothing but a dirty white lace dress, and my nails have dirt and mud caked in them. Every time I blink, my eyes adjust, and my surroundings get more and more gray and black.

The loop of waking up never stops.

*****

I wonder if there's a way to end this loop...

*****

I pass the woods at the back of the house, but from the first time I did it, I was caught off gaurd, and woke up back here at the house.

There seems to be a pattern of the woods. Every time I go deeper into the woods, something happens. Day one I ventured out, I was attacked by a black horse made with shining black sand. The second day, I could calculate where it was when it attacked. After I had ended it, I kept going, but something else stopped me. Every day, I would calculate, morize, and defeat the new challenges...

I wonder what'll happen next.

*****

I stand at the farthest I've gone, to a pond, or lake in the middle of the forest.

It 's like it beckons me to go there. Something pulls me there, like it wants to help me break this loop.

*****Third Person pov...*****

The room was lit by the snow and light outside. It had been a few decades since the girl had woken up. Her body lay still, and the only signs of life was her shallow breathing.

Outside the room, the group stood, silently trying to comfort the boy. He kept his mouth shut the entire time she slept, and he planned to keep it that way until she woke.

His body shook and shivered as tears fell done his eyes, wondering when she was to wake up.

Back inside the room, the things levitated and shifted, vases falling to the floor, her body lifted up, her hair floating around her.

And all in just a single minute, everything fell, breaking on the floor, or falling back to they're places.

The boy rushed in the see the girl on the bed, pieces of clay scattered about the floor.

The boy rushed over to the girls bed, checking to see if she was alright. The girls finger twiched, alerting the boy, who watched with hopeful eyes as her body moved.