Chapter 48

Previously:

"I'm sorry, but your going to have to pick someone else. I'm not the right person for the job." The moon seemed to loose a little brightness, and I could've sworn that it gave off a flicker of light before going back to it's original brightness. I shook my head before walking to the door and opening it. I took one glance at the moon again before walking out of the room, walking down to the meeting area.

Now...

(Y/N)'s pov

I sat on the railing as we waited for Jack. Already, too many things had happened, and I didn't really want to talk anymore. I crossed my ankles and stared down at the floor as Jack walked out of the room, looking around. Everyone else sprung to their feet, eager to see if he was okay. "Oh, Jack! You're awake! (Y/N) told us you had just woken up a few minutes ago," Tooth exclaimed walking over. She no longer could fly as kids stopped believing. North and Bunny had hit just as much, North now using his swords to help him stand, and Bunny was... well. He became more of a smaller version of himself, now using all fours to get around.

I guess Jack noticed me staring at the floor, because he walked over and sat on the railing next to me, placing his hand on my shoulder. I didn't look up though, just continued staring at the floor. North walked to the middle of the room, and looked up to the moon. "Dear friend, it truly has been too long. But, can you provide some much needed advice?" he asked. The moon's glare shot over the Guardian Symbol, and I hopped off the railing quickly leaving the room gust as the podium started rising.

I didn't want this job. I didn't want was coming. And when I heard gasps and murmers, I knew what was happening. The moon told me so. I walked out near the globe. All the lights were gone. Every single one. Just no more lights. Until one flickered on. I cocked my head to the side, before standing up on the railing and walking towards the globe, my feet floating, or more like walking on air. I looked up to the flickering light, before my eyes shot open with surprise. They lived in the same neighborhood as I did.

Jack came rushing towards me, but quickly stopped when he saw me. "(Y/N)? What are you-" I cut him off, holding my hand out as if to stop him. I then pointed at the flickering light, and his face lit up with hope. "Is that..." I walked over, nodding my head. "That's the last light. We have to get there before Pitch," I said, climbing over the railing. He looked at me as I looked to the floor. I felt awkward in this situation. Until he lifted my head up to look at him.

His eyes sparkled as they looked at me, I could feel my face getting hot, and before I could pull away, he slipped his arm around my waist and pulled me in, our lips touching. My eyes were full if surprise before I closed them and kissed him back, wrapping my arms around his neck, letting my hand run through his white hair. We pulled back to catch our breaths, and he looked at me, hope in his eyes. "We're going to finish this," he said, hugging me. I hugged him back before North cleared his throat. "That's touching, but you too might wanna get going," he said.

We both nodded before Jack looked at me. "I don't have my staff," he said. I nodded before rushing past him, running to the room he was asleep in. I could hear him following just as I grab the staff and turned around, smile on my face. "You didn't mind that I held onto it, right?" I said, handing it over to Jack. He smiled before hugging me again and walking over to the window and opening it. North, Tooth and Bunny stood in the doorway just as Jack climbed out. I looked back at them, nodding.

"We'll see you guys soon," I asked, more as a question. They all nodded, and I climbed out the window, grabbing Jack's hand. "Ready?" He asked, and I nodded my head as we faced our destination. I was going to save the hope for everyone this time. No matter what the cost.