50 || Tainted Love

~Mason~

"Christ Mase, is that blood?"

Noah asked as soon as I came up the stairs to our suite. He instantly rushed to check me out and I could feel his sigh of relief when he realized it wasn't mine. I was almost numb to what I did to Kalel and would have forgotten the blood if it hadn't been for Noah.

"How's Tristan?" I asked first and his hands carefully intertwined with mine.

"Not well, he's weak because the alpha loss but the pack doc said this should pass in a day or two once he gets used to it. But mentally, he's just not there Mase. I don't know what to do anymore," Noah lays it out on the table and I give his hands a slight squeeze, pressing my forehead to his.

"Stay strong my love, this will pass I promise you. We just have to be patient," I remind him and he nods, holding back the tears as he did so.

"I just can't stand seeing him like this, I feel so...so...guilty Mase. We were in the apartment talking about baby names and our mate was being drugged and raped," I can feel Noah's guilt weighing so heavily over his body that it was almost as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"Hey, there's nothing we could have done hon. We never could have known what was happening and there was never any reason to suspect they would do something like this. But I made sure each and every one of them got what they deserved," I tried to alleviate some of his stress but it did nothing but remove a single feather from the heavyweight tied to his heartstrings.

"I'm glad they paid for his suffering but whatever you did will never erase the damage they've already caused," Noah sighed as he slumped into my arms, his own emotions getting the best of him as the tears streamed down his blushed cheeks.

I held my mate close, taking in that beautiful spied scent of fall holidays embedded in his neck. Although these times were ones filled with so much darkness, I can't help but smile just a little bit. Plucking a small amount of happiness from the fact my beautiful mate speaks like a true Beta and even though he grew up thinking he was human, he would have no problem fitting into this pack as one of us.

At least I could release one of my multitude of worries into the sea.

Before I was an Alpha Prime, I probably would have broken down into tears with him. But instead, this overwhelming sense of calm washed over me, letting me be the rock he needed when he felt like he was drowning.

"I know, why don't you get some rest and I'll go talk to him. You must be exhausted," I gently caressed the tears from his cheek and he nodded.

"I'll meet you in the guest room, be gentle with him. He's so fragile Mase," Noah reminds me, his hands sliding down my chest as he kissed my cheek and walked away from me.

I take my time walking towards the end of the hall where the grand master bedroom was. The room the three of us were supposed to share. A room where we were supposed to be happy to start our new lives as mates with this combined pack to share.

But instead, our home is filled with an invisible tension and a heavy heartache that followed me with every step I take.

Placing my hand on the doorknob, I slowly opened the door and peeked my head inside. I had half expected to find my sweet Tristan half-asleep in bed but was more worried when the bed was completely emptied.

"Tristan?" Leaving the door open as I went to investigate, I instantly darted towards the bathroom, but there was no sign of him.

"Tris? Sweethe-" I turned around to find the balcony doors were wide open and my heart instantly dropped to my ass.