The Consequences

A/N:

For those who are wondering, the entire ordeal, from the fight to Jasiri's fainting was only about thirty-five minutes. The entirety of Death and Kilio's conversation took about twenty minutes from the thirty minutes, but since it was an off-limits place for livings, time there moves slower.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Something was wrong, something was terribly wrong.

Jasiri never took this long for a patrol, and it's starting to worry Madoa. The twins, Tunu and Wema were too busy play fighting inside the den to notice her unease, and would likely keep at it until supper. Madoa suppressed a sigh, no way was she leaving the cubs alone at their age.

She doesn't doubt her sister can handle herself, but even so, Madoa knows better than to overestimate her.  It's obvious her sister doesn't tire easily and is undoubtedly stronger than her, but the Outlands can be very unforgiving, even to someone as kind and as loyal as Jasiri. And as a general rule:

Something is always stronger than you.

Oh, how Madoa knew this. The elements, other predators, bad luck, hunger and thirst; she had to brave them all for her little sister back when they were both younger and alone. She had to stand firm when her ribs were visible as she made sure Jasiri was well fed, she had to bear her thirst even when her throat was drier than the ground they walked on, she had to fend off animals stronger than her, and when she had to face what nature threw at them; 

She braved them all for Jasiri,

The older sister knows how the land can beat you down harder than the heaviest of rain storms, and how hard it is to be thrust into the world when you weren't ready yet, especially with a child clinging onto you. Something is always stronger than you, it doesn't have to be an animal, it can be anything that can end you.

"I braved them all for you, I don't want you to ever brave them for youself... because I already did." She thought before turning back to the cubs inside the den. They were still rough housing, with Wema at the top pinning her brother down with a triumphant smile. So innocent.

The others are still out scavenging on their routes and even somewhere outside their home's breaches,"They should be back any minute now," Madoa deduced before unconsciously clawing at the Earth as regret seeped in, "I should've waited for them to come back before sending Jasiri off, who knows what's happened to her!?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kilio gasped when Jasiri began to stir and slowly came to. The grey furiously wiped her tears away and took a cautious step back from Jasiri, carefully watching as her friend sat down before opening her eyes, and both gasped loudly.

"No..." Jasiri whimpered, "Y-You're dead, we both are." She tried to say with finality, but he tone and unsure vice betrayed her with unsteadiness. Her purple eyes darted to her paws and legs and seeing as they're undamaged, she looked to the scenery around them  hoping to find anything that could prove her right. But the bloody ground and bloodied paw prints only made her worry more.

And the heat she's feeling from the sun's rays are scaring her.

"No, this can't be right. We're both dead, Kilio, tell me I'm right!" Jasiri pleaded, her brain not making sense of anything.

They were both dead, she saw Kilio die and was dying herself! They were dead! So why was Kilio looking so pitifully at her? And why does she look so sorry... and scared?

"Jasiri," Kilio started carefully, afraid of what might come. " We're not dead-"

"But I saw you die!"

"Yes, you did but-"

"But you came back... a-and I came back!" Jasiri tried to stand and make an advance on Kilio, to jab her in the chest and yell at her and demand what she did to them, but when she tried to take a step forward to stand she didn't feel the ground.

Jasiri fell forward with a yelp. Kilio quickly dove forward and caught her on her back before she could fall but Jasiri quickly pushed herself off, pushing Kilio away before loosing her balance again and landing on her side. Her scared, angry and shocked eyes met Kilio's green ones.

"Kilio... what did you do to me?!"