Quirkless

You remember the day that Izuku found out he didn't have a quirk.

It was as though the whole sky mourned for him.

The pitter-patter of rain falling on your car as you drove back from the doctors did little to fill the unbearable silence, your sons watery eyes looking out the window as you drove through downtown. You looked in your rear view mirror and watched with sad eyes, your mouth opening to form words but closing before they could be uttered out.

'Oh Izuku.' Your heart twisted and burned, your own eyes become teary at the thought of his own misery. To be so young and have such heartache, was almost too much to bare.

You debated offering him ice-cream, but you knew that nothing you could offer him would lift his spirits.

Nothing but a quirk, anyways.

The anxiety you had begged you to turn on the radio, but something akin to mothers instincts told you he needed the moment of silence to collect his thoughts.

You needed to collect your own thoughts too.

You had sobbed uncontrollably at the doctor's office as you held him in your arms, apologizing to your heartbroken child. Now you were ashamed at your own actions. He must feel ten times worse for making you cry, and even though it wasn't really him, you knew he would put the blame on himself.

Really, there was nothing wrong with not having a quirk. It just narrowed down your possibilities for jobs and careers.

But a hero, without any quirk? Who ever heard of that? It was so dangerous, being a hero. You could feel your knuckles tighten around your steering wheel when you remember your old best friend joining an agency.

He would come to you in the middle of the night, battered and bruised, and you would heal him the best you could while you cried for his pain. You always were a big softy when people you loved were injured.

You couldn't heal Izuku though, not even with your quirk. A broken heart is something only time could help, and there was no guarantee that it would ever heal.

'What can I do to make this better? How can I make him feel better?' you pondered, thinking back to your own childhood with a similar scenario. You never wanted to be a hero, but you knew what it felt like to be told you can't pursue your dreams. Your dad was rather old fashioned, and when you told him your dream to become a doctor he laughed in your face and said that it was a man's profession.

Oh, how you cried and cried. But that grief soon turned to anger, and that anger turned into determination. All throughout medical school, you fought off his snide comments and remarks, until finally you had become one of the youngest female doctors in history.

WITHOUT your quirk.

Hmf. he wasn't laughing then. But what would have become of you, you wondered, if he supported you from the start?

It was at that moment that you decided. No matter what Izuku wanted to do, you would support him 100%. Even if his dreams seemed impossible, even if he fell and didn't reach them. It was better to shoot your shot and move on then live life forever thinking what if.

~three hours later~

"Izuku, dinner!" You beconned your son from the confines of his room, already half expecting it when he didn't bother leaving. You sighed, wiping the soup that had splattered on your hand onto your green apron as you walked back towards his room.

'Izuku~" You sung, giving him three knocks on the door. You always announced your presence before barging in, just out of courtesy and respect for privacy. Izuku was a smart boy for someone so young, and you wanted to establish a healthy relationship of trust from the beginning.

"I'm coming in!" Slowly you creaked open the door, your eyes taking a moment to adjust to the dark room. You could see the light from his computer monitor and hear his sniffles, the sound of All Might laughing filling the room. You had to try really hard to choke back the sob threatening to bubble up.

"Oh, Izu." You sighed and flipped on the light switch. His All Might room illuminated with a dim yellow glow, his glossy eyes flinching from the light while his tear stricken face refused to look your way. You gave him a sad smile, even if he couldn't see it, and started to sing the song you spent the last hour perfecting, while you were cooking dinner of course.

"~Who makes me laugh, when I want to cry,~" You started, taking a step forward towards your son who refused to budge from his spot at the computer.

"~Who heals my heart, from widows plight,~" You took longer strides until you could pick him up, resting his head gently against your shoulder.

"~My loving son, my world so bright,

You are my hero, you are my knight~" He buried his wet face into your neck and grasped at the fabric of your black long sleeve shirt, tiny sobs escaping him. You continued to sing as you slowly walked back to the dining room, where a surprise laid waiting for him.

"~From skies above, and earth below,

You fix my soul, and make it whole,

The odds are stacked, that much is true,

But know that mom, always root for you~" By now you had made it back to the dining room, your right hand still rubbing soothing circles on his back while you sat down with him still in your lap. His face was still buried in your shoulder.

"~Because to be a hero starts,

With a boy,

with a pure heart,

The will to save, and the will to fight,

Will guide you to be like All Might~ "As you finished your song you gently lifted your son up, wiping his tears away gently as he looked up at you with shakey green eyes. What beautiful eyes he had!

"Tada!" You cheered, smiling as widely and happily as possible in order to cheer him up. He looked up at you and then turned to look at that table, gasping in shock.

It was his favorite food, Katsudon, along with a giant cookie shaped like a heart, frosted with green frosting with white piping spelling 'you're my hero' in cursive.

"Mama.." Izuku started to cry even harder, and you just laughed and engulfed him in a giant comforting and warm hug. You knew that these were tears of happiness, and not sorrow, and you were so relieved you managed to make him feel even the slightest bit better.

"I know being quirkless is gonna be hard, Izuku. But, I want you to know that it isn't impossible for you to become a hero." his tiny hands tightened at your words, and you ran your fingers through his green locks soothingly. " I'll always support you, no matter what! Even if it seems impossible! Because that's what moms do! And I believe in you 100% because your name Is Izuku Midoriya, and Midoriyas never give up! And think about it, heroes always go through trials like this, right? Where things are at their hardest, and they decide to keep going. This is your test Izuku, and something tells me your gonna come out on top. "

You don't know how long you stayed like that, just embracing each other as the food slowly grew colder and the night grew shorter.

But your hearts were both warmer,

And you found solace in the presence of one another.

'As long as we have each other, nothing can go wrong' You both thought with smiles, his tiny eyes drifting close in comfort while your own started to shut as well.

Needless to say, you had plenty of leftovers for the next day.