Day 15: Buying a Pet

I sighed. Every time the guys went out together, I felt so alone. Uncle Wu was meditating and Mom was meditating with him, so I was left to go about my business. Alone. I was paging through my latest paper I needed to turn in. Life seemed a bit too easy for me. Since my diagnosis of vasovagal syncope(after I passed out while flying on my dragon), everything had been pretty low-key. I wasn't permitted to go on any missions or do anything next to strenuous. I basically stayed at home doing household chores. I enrolled in an online college because I thought it would add a little more spice to life again, but everything was still really menial. I had been thinking over how to conquer this thing I had so I could get back into the swing of things. Maybe even help on some reconnaissance missions, if I could convince my brother I was well enough. Suddenly, an idea popped into my head.

Why not get a pet?

It's not like I could possibly neglect it, I hardly do anything, so why not get one? I decided on a cat. All I had to do was wait until my brother got home and then I could ask. Dinner rolled around and I made my move.

"Hey Lloyd. I was wondering something." He looked at me and nodded for me to continue, so I just blurted it out. "I want a pet." I quickly added, "Specifically a cat." He raised his eyebrows skeptically.

"Why so sudden?"

"Well, school's been pretty lenient recently and since I'm not allowed to help with any of your missions, I thought it might be nice to have some company for once in a while. Mom and Uncle Wu can't entertain me constantly, you know. I'm not a child that needs supervision." He nodded and smiled slowly.

"I like it. You can go to the pet store tomorrow to get one. But take one of the guys with you." As he turned to leave the room, I looked at Cole and winked. He knew that he was the only one I ever took places for "safety reasons". I wasn't supposed to overexert myself and he was good for heavy lifting, which happens a lot when you buy everything in bulk like we have to.

Time skip brought to you by lots (and lots and lots) of kittens

"So what color do you want?" Cole asked, gesturing to all the different types of kittens in the pet store. I looked them over carefully. I wasn't going to take a sick or weak one, since I didn't want to have to pay a lot of medical bills, so I made sure to narrow it down to just the healthy ones before picking a color. In the farthest corner, there was a kitten lazily napping. It yawned and stretched as it woke up.

"I. Want. That one." I pointed to the distinctly light gray tabby. We paid for the kitten and took him, along with the necessary supplies, back home. I was ecstatic! I was on my way to a more exciting and busy life.