Day 20: Whatever You Want (A Teaser)

I sighed.

"Another 'flesh wound', eh?" Kai nodded, grimacing with one hand over his injured arm.

"It's just a flesh wound," He said, like every time he came to "visit" my healing center in the palace. I pried his hand away from the wound and peeled away the torn sleeve.

"Ooh, that's not pretty. Still not the worst you've brought me, though." He laughed tensely.

"So what's the deal this time, Shea? What'dya got for me this time?" I pulled one of my healing concoctions off the shelf and opened it. It smelled great, like mint and earthen roots. Kai took a deep breath and laughed even more tensely than before. "Now that's a familiar smell. I suppose I'll go ahead and sit down." Most of the time he was much more hot-headed, but he knew what I was capable of. My magic can be used for more than just healing. He sat down on one of the twisted wood chairs and placed his arm gently on the huge tree stump of a table that I had.

"Let's get this over with," I said, knowing how hard it was for him to hold in his impatientence. He was very energetic and engaged most of the time, so being out of action really took a toll on him emotionally. I poured a small amount of the liquid onto his wound and he flinched, tensing up his hand into a fist. I tightened my woven bracelets around my wrists and began the spell. I had no idea what I looked like during a spell, since I had to be so focused on the task I was completing, but I was told that I look even more radiant and beautiful afterwards. I had tried multiple times to look in a mirror during the event, but it always cut the spell off or made me faint, so that didn't work. I channeled the magical energy flowing through my body into my hands and then Kai's injured arm that they were hovering over. The surge felt like pure joy and ecstasy, which is why I loved being a healer so much. Positive magic gives a positive feeling, negative magic gives a negative one. As long as the magic I'm using is constructive, I feel amazing. I watched as his arm mended, seemingly by itself. The broken skin came together over his newly healed flesh and I slouched down a bit once I completed the spell. Kai was looking at me, wide-eyed and smiling.

"You look as gorgeous as ever, Shea. And thanks." He winked at me and pulled out three silver coins: payment for one low-mid level healing spell. I felt a blush coming on as I took the money as he casually shifted into his dragon form. He leapt from the ground into the air and flew off, good as new. I plopped down in my chair and took in the amazing feeling I earned from helping someone, but after a minute of sheer happiness, I had to get up and put away my supplies. The potion went back on the shelf and I swirled away the drying blood in the table with a simple spell. Just then, my brother Lloyd walked in. I could tell from his lowered gaze and uncomfortably crisp robes that he was avoiding something.