4

Chapter 4 || The Verdict

The next morning was Tuesday morning. With anxiety building within me, I got dressed in black jeans and a black blouse. I slid on my black converse and sipped my coffee as I waited for dad to be ready. Jughead was waiting beside me, neither of us looking at each other. We didn't want to address the other's anxiety, knowing it would make it ten times worse for both of us. I jumped at the sound of someone knocking on the door, and I rested a hand on my rapidly beating heart as dad walked out of the hallway. He went to answer the door while I tried to steady my breathing.

Dilton Doiley stood outside the door, asking for Jughead. Seeing as I wasn't needed for this conversation, I brushed past the tall boy and headed outside with my dad. We started our bikes, waiting for Jughead.

"Whatever happens today, you have to stay positive." Dad advised. "Don't walk in there with your mind made up about the outcome of the trial, alright?"

"Don't worry, daddy." I sighed. "Archie has my support no matter what."

Jughead rushed out of the trailer and got on his bike. I climbed onto my bike, catching sight of John and Brady doing the same behind me. Dad, Jughead, and I rode to the courthouse beside each other, leaving John, Brady, and the other Serpents who wanted to come to trail behind us. Once we got to the courthouse, I parked my bike and sighed heavily.

"Positive, Kitty." Dad reminded, kissing the top of my head as he passed me. I nodded at him and squared my shoulders. I turned away from my bike and headed into the courthouse, ignoring Hiram and Hermione Lodge as I walked into the courtroom Archie's trial was being held in.

"Hey, Kitty." Toni greeted. I nodded at her and scanned the room, spotting my father in the second row. I noticed an empty seat beside Jughead, just in front of my father. "I just wanted to apol-"

"Not here." I hissed, glaring down at Toni. "Not now."

She nodded hesitantly, never really being on the receiving end of my anger before. I nodded back to her and went to sit beside my twin brother. Due to my high anxiety, I reached out and grabbed his hand.

"We'll be okay, Kitty." He reassured me, squeezing my hand. "No matter what, we have to be okay."

I let his words soothe me momentarily, and I nodded at him. Before anyone could say anything else, the Judge entered the courtroom. We stood, waiting for the Judge to sit before we sat down.

"Has the jury reached a verdict?" The judge asked, turning to face the jury.

"Your Honor, we haven't." One of the jurors announced, standing as he addressed the Judge. "We're deadlocked. Six-to-six. And it's not going to change."

Around me, voices muttered in confusion, not knowing what the outcome of the trial will be now that we have a hung jury.

"So be it." The Judge spoke. "The jury is dismissed. Thank you for your service."

The jurors left the courtroom, leaving us waiting for the Judge to declare a mistrial.

"Your Honor," The prosecuting attorney stood, addressing the Judge. "In lieu of another trial, the state is prepared to offer a deal for a lesser sentence. Instead of prison, time served plus two years in juvenile detention, if Mr. Andrews will plead guilty to the crime of manslaughter."

"Your Hono-" Mrs. Andrews started.

"I'll take the deal." Archie announced, cutting his mother off as he stood.

"Archie, no!" Jughead hissed, his voice melting into the other voices calling for Archie to refuse the deal.

"Your Honor, I accept the deal." Archie repeated.