21

Chapter 21 || Poisonous

The next morning, I slipped back into the trailer, hoping to make some breakfast for the Jones men, as I knew they wouldn't make it themselves. However, instead of finding two groggy men griping about needing coffee, I was met with the sight of my mother at the stove making breakfast like she belonged in our trailer's kitchen.

"Morning." Mom greeted me, glancing over her shoulder. "We missed you last night."

"I seriously doubt it." I mumbled, watching as she made a plate and brought it to Jughead.

"Morning pumpkin." Dad smiled, kissing my forehead as he passed me. "Where'd you go last night?"

"Went for a walk, settled in at Pop's for a few hours." I shrugged, furrowing my eyebrows as he rubbed his shoulder.

"Did you sleep on it wrong?" Mom's voice asked, cutting me off before I could say anything.

"There's no right way to sleep on a couch." Dad replied.

"Do you want the bed?" Mom asked.

"No, I'm fine." Dad shook his head.

"I need coffee." The sleepy voice of Jellybean filled the trailer.

"You let her drink coffee?" Dad asked. Jellybean gave him a glare that was almost as bad as mine, making dad raise an eyebrow at her with a chuckle. "I've been on the receiving end of a worse glare, Jellybelly. But help yourself. I gotta get to work."

"Have a good day." I smiled warmly.

"Hey," Dad said, looking between Jughead and I. "If you need anything, you call me."

Jughead nodded, and dad shot me a look.

"Of course." I nodded. "I love you, daddy."

"Love you too, pumpkin." Dad smiled, grabbing his hat.

"I might be by a bit later." I added before turning toward the only bathroom in the trailer.

"Go to school." Dad rolled his eyes with a grin. "Maybe see me after school."

"Maybe." I snorted. "Go, don't be late."

Dad let out a chuckle before ducking out of the trailer, leaving me with a soft smile.

"Aren't you two just peas in a pod." Mom commented, distaste evident in her tone.

"Of course we are." I nodded. "Dad and I have always been close."

"Oh, don't I know it." Mom nodded, smirking at me.

"Alright, well," I trailed off, looking over at Jughead. "I'm going to get dressed and head to school early. Try to get there soon, Sweets and Fangs said they needed us for a meeting."

"Okay." Jughead nodded, chewing on a piece of bacon. "As soon as I'm done eating, I'll ride over."

"Thank you." I smiled, heading into the bathroom to get changed. With a pair of clean jeans, a black tank top, and a pair of boots, I stepped out of the bathroom, running right into Jellybean. "I'm sorry."

"You will be." She muttered under her breath, but I still heard her. I shrugged it off, chalking it up to my mother's distaste of me rubbing off on her. I pulled on one of Sweet Pea's flannel shirts and scooped up my keys.

"Straight home after school, Katarina." Mom tried.

"Yeah, no." I shook my head. "I had a life before you decided to come back, and I don't intend on putting it on pause because you ask me to. See you at school Jug."