16

Chapter 16 || Homecoming

The awkwardness was palpable across the two booths at Pop's. Archie and I sat across from each other, looking down at our hands. On either side of us were Veronica, Betty, Jughead, Sweet Pea, Toni, Cheryl, and Fangs. It was silent as we waited for our milkshakes, and I was sick of it.

"Jughead." I spoke quietly. Archie grabbed my hand as I spoke, making the others furrow their eyebrows at the action. "What happened while I was gone? I thought I asked you to take care of the Serpents, not destroy them."

"I-" Jughead started, only to be cut off by Pop Tate bringing us our orders.

"Betty, vanilla." Pop started. "Jughead, Veronica, Fangs, chocolate. Sweet Pea, Cheryl and Toni, strawberry. One with an extra cherry. A root beer float for Archie, and a hot cup of coffee for Kitty. Welcome home guys."

"Thanks, Pop." I murmured, sipping the coffee black.

"Since when do you drink root beer floats?" Betty asked Archie.

"And since when do you drink coffee after eight?" Fangs asked me.

"I, uh-" I stuttered for an answer.

"She doesn't sleep much." Archie supplied. "And I guess I'm not in the mood for a strawberry milkshake."

"Thanks, Arch." I murmured, sipping my coffee.

"No problem, Kat." He replied, sending me a soft smile.

"New drink, new hair, new haunted, vacant look in your eyes-" Jughead started, glancing between Archie and I.

"Let's go to another booth, guys." I suggested.

"Are you sure that's a good idea, Kat?" Archie asked, eyeing me carefully. I slid out of the booth and leaned over the table, kissing his cheek softly.

"I'll be okay, Arch." I smiled.

"If you need me I-" He started.

"You'll be right here, I know." I nodded, picking up my coffee and retreating across the diner to the booth Toni and Cheryl picked out.

"What happened to you?" Fangs asked as I slid into the booth between him and Sweet Pea. Toni and Cheryl sat across from us, looking at my face and neck.

"Are you asking about the scars, or my absence?" I asked, sipping my coffee.

"Both." Everyone chimed.

"To be perfectly honest," I started. "I left Riverdale, in the beginning, for two reasons. The first was because Archie needed protection, and I didn't rust Jughead to provide that alone. The second was to get away from Sweet Pea."

"Why?" Sweet Pea asked.

"I needed to be reminded that my life was bigger than one relationship." I answered honestly, sipping more coffee. "I spent most of my time obsessing over you and what we had that I wasn't looking forward."

"Okay, keep going." Fangs pressed.

"Right," I nodded. "We were on the road for a while, train hopping and slumming it. Then we came across a farm. There was a nice girl and her sister, and they offered us a place to stay for the night, and food. So, Archie took them up on their offer. Unfortunately, they were working for Hiram and knocked Archie and I unconscious while Jughead took pictures in town."

"Wow, he really couldn't protect Archie." Toni snickered.

"Anyway, they tied us up in their barn and tried to give us to Hiram, but Jughead untied us and we escaped." I shrugged. "We could've died, but Jughead was there just in time."