27

Chapter 27 || Challenges

I leaned against the boxing ring ropes, watching Archie warm up and Jughead and Betty stress out over the open challenge.

"Maybe we didn't allow enough time for word to get around?" Betty suggested, looking overwhelmingly stressed. "Maybe they didn't believe that it was actually coming from the-"

Betty's thought was cut short by the sound of the door being pulled open harshly. A kid our age stepped in, dressed for G&G, and held up the folded up challenge.

"I'm here for the Red Paladin." He stated. Behind him, a group of people dressed up in costumes filed in, looking ridiculous and menacing.

"Arch." Betty said, looking to see if Archie was ready. He nodded, and I bounced off the ropes to stand beside Archie.

"Well," Jughead mused, watching the building fill up. "I guess the word got around."

"You need me Arch," I started, taking his robe from his outstretched hand. "I'm right outside the ring. Don't hesitate."

"I won't." He shook his head at me. I nodded and slipped out of the ring, ignoring the looks I was receiving from the G&G fanatics around me.

"Challengers!" Jughead addressed after Betty slipped out of the ring as well. "Welcome to the Iron Mountain. Approach this hallowed battleground, submit your 'Kill the Red Paladin' card, bring the Paladin to his knees in three minutes, and your quest is won. However, should you run out of time, should you fall to the Paladin's or the Black Queen's hand, then your quest is over. Is that understood?"

Those gathered to spectate or participate in the challenge laid out by Archie murmured amongst themselves, and Jughead nodded to himself.

"Then let's go!" He shouted, and the crowd started cheering. One by one, challengers handed their quest cards to Betty, and fell at the hands of Archie. It was intense, and high speed, but I knew that if Archie couldn't handle it, I could step in. He knew it too, and sent me a look after he took down the third challenger. I smirked up at him and nodded, encouraging him to keep fighting.

During one of the fights, the challenger got a little overzealous and kept throwing punches after Betty rang the bell, so I hopped into the ring and grabbed the guy, knocking him out cold with a well aimed right hook to the temple. I kicked his limp body out of the ring and slipped back out of the ring seamlessly.

"Thanks." Archie muttered, eyeing his next opponent.

"Under my protection, Red." I smirked.

Once all the challengers were taken care of, and no one else stepped forward, Betty counted her quest cards while I got Archie some water and a clean towel for his face. I wiped the blood off of his cheek while Betty sighed.

"There's only 11 cards here." She announced.

"What, that's all?" Archie called, lightly pushing my hand away from his face. "Who else wants to try?"

I rolled my eyes and wiped his forehead anyway, jumping slightly when the door was pulled open once again. I threw the towel out of the ring and turned toward the source of the sound, coming face to face with none other than Captain Golightly, from L&L.

"Who is that?" Jughead asked, noticing the glares set on Archie's and I's faces. He never laid a hand on me, but he stood idly by while Archie and I were branded.

"Captain Golightly." Archie answered, nodding at me to step out of the ring. "My old guard at L&L. Warden Norton's lap dog."

I slipped out of the ring, but I kept my harsh glare trained on the man before me. He held up a quest card, staring right into Archie's eyes.