15

Chapter 16 || Confronting Death

We'd been in Canada together for five weeks, Archie and I. We'd fallen into a nice routine; wake up, get dressed, make and eat breakfast with Vegas, talk to the local ranger about supplies and to get news, venture out for firewood, clear trails for the rangers, or just to get out, come back to our cabin, make and eat dinner with Vegas, curl up in bed and go to sleep.

We'd also managed to talk ourselves into an arrangement these last three weeks; one that was weird in the beginning, but almost normal now. Not quite a relationship, Archie and I would kiss and cuddle and hold hands, but it was nothing more than that. Neither of us had considered going too far with this, but we had gone so far as to make out a bit before bed. It was weird for me, kissing someone that wasn't Sweet Pea, and even weirder for Archie to kiss someone that wasn't Veronica.

We were both still in love with someone else, and we were using each other as a mutual distraction. We knew that once we went back to Riverdale, whenever that was, we wouldn't pursue this relationship further. Although, my mind often wandered to what it would be like if we became an actual couple.

"This is KDK 12 to KDK 1. Over." Archie's voice pulled me from my thoughts. That was the danger of being isolated for weeks, the never ending thoughts.

"This is KDK 1." The ranger answered over the radio. "How are things looking in your neck of the woods? Over."

"Same as the last few weeks, quiet and clear. Over." Archie said, watching me as I rolled off of our shared bed.

"Glad to hear it." The ranger spoke as I got up and walked over to Archie. "Still thinking about staying on for another rotation, or are you ready to leave the wilderness behind? Over."

Archie stayed silent, contemplating his options. As he did so, he pulled me down onto his lap, kissing my cheek softly.

"I might sleep on it." Archie answered the ranger. "We're still figuring things out. I'm not sure if I'm ready to go back yet."

"Copy that." The ranger replied. "Oh, we've been getting some bear sightings. So stay vigilant while you're clearing the trails. Over."

"Will do, ma'am." Archie said. "Over and out."

He turned the radio off, kissing me softly.

"Come on." He murmured, helping me to my feet. "Let's go."

He pulled his vest off the hook by the door, sliding it over his shoulders. He grabbed my jacket, holding it open for me. I let him pull it over my shoulders with a smile.

"Clearing trails, Red?" I asked.

"Yeah." He nodded, grabbing my hand. We walked in silence, Vegas by our side, towards the hiking trails around the cabin. I leaned my head on his shoulder and sighed.

"Can I ask you something and it not be weird?" I asked, looking up at Archie.

"Of course, Kat." Archie nodded down at me.

"What if this was real?" I asked. "This relationship, or lack thereof, we have going on. I mean, I know we're doing this until we go home and you can be with Ronnie, but what if?"

"I don't know, Kat." Archie shrugged. "I love you, I do. But I'm in love with Ronnie, and it's unfair to you and to her if I lead you on."

"I know." I sighed. "I know, you're right. It's just been a month, and we're not even sure when we're going ho-"

I was cut off by Vegas barking. I quickly shut my mouth while Archie bent down to quiet the dog down. We were both staring ahead at the trail in front of us, spotting a group of hikers.