26

Chapter 26 || New Beginnings

"Today, the Serpents start a new chapter." Dad stated, standing beside a seated Mr. Keller in front of our club classroom. "You're no longer outlaws, you're lawkeepers, which is why I've got Tom Keller here to help. He is the best damn sheriff Riverdale's ever had."

"Well, thanks, FP, that's quite an introduction." Mr. Keller laughed. I smiled up at the two men, amused at their friendship. "Um, a lot of what we'll be doing over the next couple of months will be like basic training. Each junior deputy will be paired with an officer who will then mentor them."

"Jughead, boy, you're riding with me." Dad announced.

"What about Kitty?" Jughead asked, looking over at me.

"I'm going too." I shrugged.

"Which means you gotta sit in the back, Jug." Dad smirked.

While we were on the road, I glanced over at my dad. I smiled, liking the way he looked driving the cruiser; like it was where he belonged.

"Did you ever think in a million years that at 50 you'd be sitting in the driver's seat of a sheriff's cruiser?" Jughead asked, sounding amused at the sight of our father.

"No," Dad laughed. "I never even imagined I'd make it to 50. Figured that was my expiration date."

"What did you think was gonna happen?" Jughead asked, leaning between the seats to properly speak to our father. Dad looked over at us and then shook his head.

"Getting myself killed or drinking to death, like my old man." He answered. "In a way I'm, uh... I'm just happy to be here. Happy to be alive."

"What are you most proud of?" I asked, smiling at my dad.

"You." He responded immediately. "And Jughead, and your sister. I'm uh... proud of you all."

I beamed happily at his answer, turning to look out the window. Jughead, however, had more questions to ask.

"So, we're really doing this?" Jughead asked. "Moving to the Northside, into the Cooper house? It's like a Norman Rockwell painting with leather jackets."

"You know, you, Kitty, and Jellybean deserve it." Dad stated. "And for the first time ever, I'm in a place where I can provide for my kids. I can put a real roof over your heads, food in your mouths. Damn. It only took me 50 years to get here."

"I'm most proud of you, dad." I said softly, earning a smile from him.

"We've got a 10-23 at the Chock'lit Shoppe. Out." A dispatcher spoke through the radio.

"10-4. On my way." Dad radioed before flipping on the lights and the sirens.

"What the hell is a 10-23?" Jughead asked. Dad told us we'd find out when we got to Pops, and made a quick U-turn. We got to Pop's fairly quickly, and I trailed behind my father as we met with Veronica and Pop.

"Hey, Pop." Dad greeted, entering the diner. "What's going on?"

"Some Fizzle Rocks junkie spazzed out and threw hot coffee all over Delores, then ran out of here." Veronica answered with a sigh.

"I thought Fizzle Rocks were gone, this whole candy epidemic was over?" Jughead spoke.

"Yeah, but I've heard rumblings and rumors that someone's looking to reopen the candy store." Dad informed, moving toward Delores to get her statement. Veronica and I made eye contact, and she offered me a small smile. However, I wasn't in the mood for pleasantries.