37

Chapter 37 || Fight Night and Bombshells

While Jughead went off to figure out where the letters Betty and I received came from, I went through school acting like a traumatized animal. Every time there was a crash, or a loud noise, I jumped; any time I passed the girls bathroom, the newspaper room, or the locker rooms, I rush away from them. I even tried to avoid some hallways, but my class schedule wouldn't allow for it.

Sweet Pea hovers around me, making sure everyone stays away from me unless I initiate conversation, and offering me comfort when I jump at loud noises. When we're at home, Sweet Pea tries to get me to talk about what happened, but every time I think about the haunting figure of the Gargoyle King standing in the school hallway, I shut down.

No one knows how to help me, and it's frustrated everyone. Jughead is working hard to find out who the Gargoyle King really is, dad has buried himself in work, JB stays away from me at all costs after I flinched away from her the first time, and Sweet Pea... Sweet Pea just sits with me with a panicked expression as he tries to figure out how to help me.

They aren't the only ones that are frustrated. I really don't know how to cope with what I saw, and I'm sick and tired of being scared all the damn time.

"I'm going next door." I told Sweet Pea. It was nearly a week after prom, and I was ready to do something other than sit in my house all day.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Sweet Pea asked, watching me carefully.

"If you want to." I shrug. "I'm just going to see Archie."

"I'll come with you." Sweet Pea decided. I shrugged in his direction as I pulled on my Serpent jacket. "Just to be safe."

"That's fine." I nodded, slipping my shoes on. "I hope Mrs. Andrews is still in town."

Sweet Pea wrapped his arm around my shoulder as we walked next door. I didn't bother knocking on Archie's door. Instead, I just pushed the door open and smiled at the familiar interior of Archie's home.

"Kitty?" Mrs. Andrews's voice called from the kitchen. "Is that you?"

"Yes, Mrs. Andrews." I smiled fondly, slipping out from underneath Sweet Pea's arm to greet the woman I saw as my second mother.

"I've missed you." Mrs. Andrews smiled happily as she hugged me tight. "I heard about what you saw, how are you?"

"Struggling to cope, actually." I said, waving to Archie as Sweet Pea awkwardly shuffled into the kitchen. "Sweets has been a big help."

"I thought you two were broken up." Mrs. Andrews commented, glaring at Sweet Pea over my shoulder.

"Mom!" Archie hissed.

"It's fine." Sweet Pea waved him off, turning to Mrs. Andrews. He rested his hands on my shoulders and addressed Mrs. Andrews. "I made the mistake of breaking up with her before Archie got arrested. But since then, I've done everything I can to make it up to Kitty. I'm still amazed she took me back."

"Suck up." I teased, turning my head so I could look up at him.

"I'm just trying to make a good impression." He rolled his eyes at me. "It's nice to formally meet you, Mrs. Andrews."

"Likewise." Mrs. Andrews nodded up at Sweet Pea. "You better take care of Kitty, otherwi-"

"He knows." Archie sighed, rolling his eyes. "He's got half of Riverdale against him if he hurts Kitty again."

"Enough of that." I huffed, looking at my two favorite redheads. "What did you guys have planned today?"

"Actually," Archie started, rising to his feet. "I have that fight with Hiram Lodge today."