25

Chapter 25 || The Northsiders

"Come here." I heard Gladys speak as I walked into the trailer. "You're all cockeyed."

I glanced over at her, watching as she doted on my father. I smiled softly at my dad as he glanced up at me, but internally I felt sick. I knew this is what made my dad happy, having his whole family under one roof again, but I didn't trust Gladys' intentions, nor did I like the way she tried to fit back in here like she never even left in the first place.

"Where've you been all night?" Gladys asked, playing the ever-so-curious mother.

"I stayed with Sweets last night." I answered, pouring myself some orange juice.

"You let our daughter stay with her boyfriend?" Gladys questioned dad.

"She lived with him before Sunnyside went up in flames." Dad shrugged, shooting me a smile. "Besides, he's a good kid when he's not shattering my babygirl's heart into a trillion pieces."

"I forgave him, daddy." I reminded with a gentle smile. "He's never going to make the mistake of hurting me ever again, he's too emotionally unstable without me."

"Airing out Pea's dirty laundry." Jughead chuckled from the living room. "That's cold, Kit."

"Hush you." I snapped playfully, washing my now empty cup. "I love him, Gladys. Is me staying with him a problem?"

"I just don't know if I like it, is all." Gladys commented.

"He's very respectful, if that's what you're worried about." I shrugged, leaning down and kissing dad's cheek. "And he's patiently waiting for me outside. He's planned a date for us."

"But you have to come with us." Gladys demanded, looking up at me.

"Bring the boy." Dad suggested, hoping to defuse the building tension between Gladys and I. "Might be good to properly introduce him to your mother."

"I'll let him in." I smiled, pulling open the trailer door and looking down at Sweet Pea. The difference in height was slight, but I was slightly taller on the top step than he was on the ground. "Come inside, you giant."

"Okay." He grinned, wrapped an arm around my waist as he passed me. "Anything for you, baby."

"Sweets." I giggled, resting my hand on the collar of his Serpent jacket. "I want you to properly meet my mom, Gladys, and my little sister, Jellybean."

"It's JB." Jellybean corrected, practically drooling over my boyfriend.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. and Miss Jones." Sweet Pea said, trying to be polite. Gladys scoffed, earning looks from dad, Jughead, and I.

"Please, you're not the gentlemanly type." Gladys determined, eyeing Sweet Pea. "Not even when you were a kid, you had an out of control temper."

"Not anymore." Sweet Pea smiled, squeezing me tighter. "Not since Kitty and I started dating. She makes me want to be better."

"No need to sweet talk me, boy." Dad grinned, looking wildly amused. "I already decided you could have my blessing in the far, far future. I actually like you, kid."

"I don't know if I do." Gladys determined.

"It's a good thing that I don't really care what your opinion on my boyfriend is." I shrugged, looking down at my dad. "I don't know what we're doing or where we're going, but Sweets and I are going to wait outside for you guys, okay?"

"Sure." Dad nodded, turning to look at Sweet Pea. "Keep her warm, and keep her in a good mood."

--------