36

Chapter 36 || Prom Night

"I'm sorry, you want to what?" I question Betty and Jughead as I slammed my locker shut.

"It sounded like they said they wanted to summon the Gargoyle King." Sweet Pea reiterated, looking at the pair like they sprouted second heads.

"That's exactly what we want to do." Betty nodded.

"No." I shook my head, feeling my hands start to shake. "I don't want that monster anywhere near me after the junkyard incident."

"Kitty, there's a man under that costume." Jughead sighed, looking down at my trembling hands. "If we follow what the Gospel says, the Gargoyle King will have no other choice but to show up, and then we can find out who it really is under that mask."

"Jughead, I'm not scared of very many things," I started, gripping tight to Sweet Pea's hand. "But that Gargoyle King we saw in the junkyard scared me. It's like it wasn't even human."

"Please, Kitty." Betty pleaded.

"I got your back, Kit." Jughead added.

"I don't like it." I huffed, squeezing Sweet Pea's hand. "But, fine. You want me to speak to both gangs, right?"

"Yes, please." Betty nodded with a smile. Sweet Pea leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"I'll get them to our Swords and Serpents classroom." He told me, heading off down the hall.

"If this plan backfires, Jughead," I said shakily. "And we don't unmask this new Gargoyle King, he's going to know what we planned to do. He might come for us again, and the thought of him coming for us and we don't have the faintest idea who he is scares me more than anything."

"You'll have the Serpents as protection, Kitty." Jughead reminded, wrapping his arms around me. "And you'll have me. I won't let anything else happen to you, Kitty."

I nodded against his shoulder and let out a sigh. I pulled away from Jughead and smiled at him before turning on my heel and heading into the empty classroom we used to meet in. I sat up on the teacher's desk and swung my legs as I waited for the Serpents and the Poisons to join me. Betty and Jughead leaned against the wall beside the teacher's desk, eyeing the door to the hallway eagerly.

Once the members from each gang started showing up, an awkward and tense silence filled the air. The Poisons and the Serpents sat separately from one another, and glares were thrown around from each group. Once Sweet Pea came into the room and sat down, I addressed the two gangs with a hardened expression.

"Serpents," I nodded to the boys. "Poisons. We have a proposition for you."

"The Pretty Poisons don't take orders from you." Peaches pointed out, openly glaring at me.

"Please, Peaches." Betty spoke, moving to stand on one side of me. Jughead stood on the other, and watched as Betty reasoned with Peaches. "We're talking about a prom night truce. So that we can all work together to catch the Gargoyle King. How does that sound?"

"The Poisons can get behind that." Peaches decided, nodding at me to continue.

"How wonderful of my brother to think ahead so optimistically." I commented, rolling my eyes as I turned toward the blackboard. "During prom, groups of you will be stationed at every entrance. Once the announcement for prom queen begins, you guys are going to bar anyone from exiting the gym."

"Whoever's cosplaying as the Gargoyle King is going to be there," Jughead continued, looking away from his expertly drawn diagram of the school's gym. "And this is going to be our one shot at nabbing him."