14

Chapter 14 || Han Solo'd

The next morning, I woke up wrapped up in Archie's arms. It wasn't as weird as I thought it would be, but it was still really weird. I managed to untangle myself from him and met with my mother in the kitchen.

"You sure you and Archie have nothing going on?" Mom questioned, handing me a cup of coffee.

"I'm sure." I nodded, sipping my coffee.

"If you say so." She shrugged, going back to making food. I watched her as she moved, the action feeling foreign to me; waking up and getting coffee from my mother was much different than waking up and getting coffee from my father. While most mornings I would be the one making breakfast, here my mother was, leaning over the stove like she belonged there. It was strange, seeing her be a mom again, after years of her just being gone.

I decided rather quickly that I didn't like it, that I liked waking up before everyone and making breakfast and coffee for my father and brother. I didn't like sitting here doing nothing, and I especially didn't like the motherly glances she shot over her shoulder at me.

"Stop it." I snapped as she smiled at me over her shoulder again.

"Stop what?" She asked.

"Pretending to be my mother again." I huffed, putting the coffee mug in her sink. "You stopped being her years ago."

"Pumpkin, I'll always be your mother." She sighed.

"Don't call me that." I shook my head. "Only dad gets to call me that."

"What do you want from me, Katarina?" She finally snapped, turning the stove off. "You want me to apologize for leaving a shitty life behind? You want me to say I'm sorry for leaving a drunk and bettering my life?"

"I want you to apologize for leaving your damn kids!" I snapped back. "You left Jughead and I, with that 'drunk' you wanted to get away from. Which only made his drinking worse, but don't worry, mom, I stepped up and helped him get sober again. I know it was so hard for you to do it, but I managed it. Jughead and I needed a mother, especially when dad would drink and disappear for weeks at a time which would send Jughead off to 'couch surf'. You know he stayed at the drive-in? And the school, under the stairs in a closet? All because you wanted to better your life."

"I didn't know." She sighed.

"No," I shook my head, walking away from her. "I wouldn't expect you to."

I grabbed my backpack, pulling out some clean clothes and my Serpent jacket. Archie and Jughead were silently packing their stuff up, pretending that they didn't hear the argument I just had with my mother. I brushed past them and my mother, ducking into the bathroom to change.

Once I shrugged on my Serpent jacket and boots, I stepped out of the bathroom. I gathered the rest of my things and packed them into my backpack, pocketing my switchblade, just in case. When I walked back into the room we slept in, Fred Andrews was advancing toward Archie.

"Dad." Archie sighed, hugging his father tightly. They shared a moment, embracing each other in such a way that only a father could hug their child.

"Wait, Mr. Andrews..." I trailed off. He sent me a nod and gestured toward the door. I squeaked and pulled open the door, catching sight of my father. My mother and Jellybean were hot on my heels as I raced toward my father, dropping my backpack as I ran. "Daddy!"

"Hey, Kitty." He laughed lightly, hugging me tight. I took a moment, enjoying the feeling of home for a moment before he cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, pumpkin, I had to bring him."