10

Chapter 10 || Goodbyes

"Are you okay, Kitty?" Fangs asked as I sipped a beer by the fire. We made it back to Serpent camp without much trouble from Joaquin, mostly because Jughead knocked him out once I left.

"Peachy keen, Fangs." I smiled, leaning back into my plush armchair.

"Are you sure?" Jughead asked. "And should you even be drinking? You're taking pain pills."

"I'm fine, guys." I sighed. "And I'm not taking the pills because I'm drinking, Juggy."

"Are you satisfied with the answer Joaquin gave you about the brand?" Jughead asked.

"Cold and without emotion." I recited, gulping down some more beer. "That's not me, right?"

"No." Jughead sighed, leaning over and kissing my forehead. "You've got too much to care for."

"Yeah," Toni added. "Me, Fangs, the Serpents, your dad, Cheryl, Archie, even Mantle."

"His name's Reggie, Toni." I giggled, finishing my beer. "I guess you're right. I shouldn't let what he said get to me."

--------

"Kitty!" Fangs called as I climbed off my bike. I set my helmet on the seat and turned to him and Sweet Pea, both looking rattled.

"Someone's sending us a message." Sweet Pea said. I waited for Jughead to park his bike before following after Fangs and Sweet Pea.

"What kind of message?" Jughead asked. My chair was covered by a tarp, and I couldn't help but feel slightly anxious about what was underneath it. Fangs looked at me before pulling the tarp away, revealing a dead Joaquin De Santos, complete with blue lips and the sacrifice rune carved into his forehead.

"Joaquin." I spoke softly, reaching down and pulling the tarp back over him. I turned away from his body, hoping to forget the image of him, someone I used to call my friend, dead.

"Who do you think did it?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Uh," I started, my voice hoarse. I cleared my throat and shook my head. "I don't know."

"The Gargoyle gang." Jughead sighed from beside me. "Or Hiram Lo... Could be anyone."

"That symbol on his forehead..." Fangs trailed off.

"Sacrifice." Jughead confirmed. My head snapped up from the ground and I rushed to my bike.

"We have to get to Archie." I called to Jughead. He followed after me and climbed onto his bike. We sped off, trying to locate Archie before something happened to him.

--------

Jughead went ahead to find Archie while I circled back to get some of our things. I was quick and quiet, hoping to avoid everyone. Archie called Jughead, and I happened to answer his phone. He wanted Jughead's help disappearing, and I told him I'd help him out too. I packed essentials and headed back outside, sighing at the coming storm.

"Going somewhere?" Sweet Pea's voice rang out over the thunder in the distance.

"Not that it's any of your concern." I rolled my eyes. "I'm headed out of town for a bit."

"Can we talk before you go?" He asked, looking nervous. I checked my phone, seeing a text from Jughead about a location. I memorized it and deleted the message.

"Five minutes, Sweet Pea." I sighed, sitting on the couch beside us.

"I just, I wanted to apologize. For everything." He started. "It was never my intention to hurt you, and I thought that by breaking up with you, it would keep you safer. But I was wrong, I was so wrong. You got kidnapped and branded and forced to fight in some underground fight club, and I can't help but think that it wouldn't have happened to you if we were still together. I feel like I can't pro-"