33

Chapter 33 || The Quest Begins

"You've hurt a lot of people, Kurtz." Dad stated, eyeing Kurtz from across the table. "What were you thinking? Sell the bad batch, get out of town, dodge a murder charge?"

Slowly, Kurtz looked away from my father and focused in on the crime scene photos from Baby Teeth's murder. Dad sighed and looked over at Jughead and I, hoping that either of us would get something out of him.

"Why Baby Teeth?" Jughead asked. "Did the Gargoyle King demand a sacrifice?"

"Baby Teeth." Kurtz spoke, smirking slightly at Jughead and I. "He was only the warm-up."

"To what?" Jughead questioned, moving closer to the table in the center of the room.

"To the ultimate quest." Kurtz answered. "To one final game for you and your family, Hellcaster, Black Queen."

He spat the name like it was poison, shooting me a glare as he did so.

"It was demanded by the King." Kurtz continued. "Save the little Princess."

"Jellybean." I breathed. "You sick fu-"

"What the hell did you do?" Dad cut me off, grabbing at Kurtz with a protective fire in his eyes. "What did you do?"

"She's been summoned." Kurtz laughed. "By the King."

"If one hair on my baby sister's head is out of place, I will rip your teeth out of your skull one by one and feel them to you, slowly." I hissed, grabbing Kurtz by his collar. He stopped laughing, looking at me with a slight smirk and fear in his eyes. "The King better be ready to deal with the Queen."

I ignored Dad's hand grabbing my arm as I slammed Kurtz's head into the table in front of me, and took off to the parking lot. I hopped on my bike and raced home, hoping that Jellybean was safe and sound in Betty's old house. When I got there, I ran inside, yelling for my sister.

"Jellybean?" I called up the stairs, scanning the living room for her.

"Jellybean?" Jughead's voice sounded as he ran past me and into the kitchen. "Dad."

"What's going on?" Sweet Pea asked, walking into the living room from downstairs. I ignored him and followed after my dad to meet with Jughead at the pool table.

"What the hell is that?" Dad asked, looking over Jughead's shoulder as he opened the sealed letter.

"Kit?" Sweet Pea whispered, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"'I invite you to play a round of Gryphons and Gargoyles, the outcome will determine Princess Jellybean's fate.'" Jughead read, causing a shiver to run down my spine. Sweet Pea's arm around me tightened as he figured out what was going on.

"Hey." Gladys Jones greeted, entering the house. I let out a shaky breath and turned to hug Sweet Pea for a moment as I worried about my sister. "Why is the door wide open? And Kitty, why is your bike laying in the yard?"

Sweet Pea kissed the top of my head as Gladys got closer. I nodded and gently pulled away from him, turning to look at my mother.

"What's wrong?" She asked, looking between all four of us. "Where's JB?"

"She was taken." Dad answered.

"By the Gargoyle King, and his loyal servant, Kurtz." Jughead added, handing Gladys the letter.

"We have to find that son of a bitch." Gladys decided, looking to my father.

"Find him?" Dad's voice was murderous. "He's outside in the back of my cruiser."